Home Need to claim - how will it affect renewal price

frash

I need to make a claim of approx. €4000 (suspected leak led to sagging floor & broken tiles, kitchen needs to come out to fix)

How would this claim affect my renewal?
Would it go up by much?

Would a different insurance company charge extra because of my claim?

House Insurance doesn't usually have a no claims bonus, but it can. So check with the insurer. Another insurer might refuse to quote at all if there is a previous claim, but this depends on their underwriting criteria. A claim of 4K is relatively small.

Check a few online quote engines and input for a quote with and without the claim. This should give you an idea of what way it will impact on you viz other insurers.

We claimed that kind of figure many years back (late 'Nineties)and I don't think the premium went up at all.

I need to make a claim of approx. €4000 (suspected leak led to sagging floor & broken tiles, kitchen needs to come out to fix)

How would this claim affect my renewal?
Would it go up by much?

Would a different insurance company charge extra because of my claim?

I suggest that you give the insurance company or your broker ( if you have one) a bell and they will give you a definitive answer.

A different insurance company may not take you on as a policyholder if you have had a recent previous claim. Different Insurers have different criteria. However, a recent previous claim, if it is to have any effect, will have a detrimental effect on placing business or the level of premium that you will have to pay.

In the current market, with insurers attitude towards claims, people really need to consider whether it is economically viable to make a claim.

Just to update:

Rang my broker. I currently have a 40% NCB on my policy worth a €320 discount this year.

So if I do claim my insurance will go up by this amount next year and a little bit less each year until I build back up the 40% NCB.

Thanks for the replies.

Back