Section 23 Document Probs for AH

E

ericv

Hi,

I bought an AH 6 months ago from DCC in the city centre that qualifies for owner-occupier relief under section 23.

So I need four documents to give to revenue:
  • A statement of costs off the builder
  • A certificate of consistency from Dublin Co. Council stating that the construction of the property is consistent with the objective of the urban renewal scheme.
  • A certificate of compliance from the Housing Grants Sections of Dept Environment.
  • A copy of the purchase contract
I have the last three but I didn't get the statement of costs during the purchase.

So my solicitor asked DCC for this only for DCC to say they never got it from the builders.

So my solicitor asked the builders for it and the builders said they already gave it to DCC.

This has now been dragging on for months. DCC don't care enough to push the builders for the document and the builders are just mostly ignoring our communication.

Can anyone out there think of anything I can do to get this document?

Hey ericv,

I've been through exactly the same thing myself so I know how fustrating it is. I was claiming under Section 372AN/ AQ urban renewal scheme for owner/ occupiers which I assume is what you're trying to do? (It took me an age to find out that this was the tax break and not actually Section 23 that I qualified for).

Two years after I moved in DCC sent me the two documents needed to claim the allowance via our management company- so I'd suggest giving your management company a call. Do you have a residents committee? It helps if there are many of you consistently pestering them we found.

Also it is backdated so at least you have a nice big cheque in the post to loook forward to ;)

Two years!!! Wow and I thought 6 months was a long time.

DCC truly are some outfit.

In fairness to them they were held up on the document from the builder, I can't remember the exact reason but it was something to do with the qualifying costs.

At least your solicitor knew what you were talking about- neither my solicitor nor estate agent who sold me the place knew anything about it (when I rang to ask him about it he blathered something about how I could only claim it if I was selling ?? then hung up!!).

All you actually need to send to the tax office are

1) A statement of costs off the builder

2)
A certificate of consistency from Dublin Co. Council stating that the construction of the property is consistent with the objective of the urban renewal scheme.

I'd say that if it's just the first document that you're waiting on ring up the builder's head quarters yourself and ask them for a copy- surely they must have one on file.

Two years!!! Wow and I thought 6 months was a long time.

DCC truly are some outfit.

Just got mine nearly 2 & half years late. was the Builder sdelay though pure chance it came throught i met the builder on the street after hed ignored countless calls and Solicitors letters, i told him exactly what i thought and fair play he sorted it for me.
As has been said it is backdated so you wont lose out thankfully :)

Back