Anyone been refused life assurance because of ibd/colitis

Daisy09

My husband has a mild form of ibd/colitis. He actually wasnt on tablets for about 2 years but has recently had a flare up and is back on them. We are applying for a mortgage at the moment. Is this likely to cause a problem?

I don't think so. I have a problem with this also, and have been given two mortgages since I was diagnosed. I think as long as it doesn't interfere with time off work, it isn't too much of an issue.

It may take a little longer to process. When we were buying our home, we had to have evidence that we had mortage protection or/life in place. My husband had got this before and processed very quickly (for his first home). However, my husband had been diagnosed with Colitis since then, the underwriter, looked for information from GP etc - while it wasn't refused, it delayed the purchase of our house, to the annoyance of the seller. However, it was all fine in the end (but very frustrating at the time), I think we may have had an additional loading also. It was a good while back so can't recall how long it took in end.

Thanks a million for your responses. Its typical, we checked and its actually 5 years since a flair up, then a month before we go for a mortgage its back! Its doesn't really effect him at all though, he just takes tablets and thats that. Hopefully it doesn't delay things too much...!

If it's just ulcerative colitits, it would be unlikely that he would be declined unless it is very severe (and/or connected to other underlying issues) and from what you're saying, it's not. Very mild cases of ulcerative colitis can be accepted at standard rates for life cover. Slightly more severe cases can be accepted with a loading. It's likely that the life insurance company will look for a report from his GP, so as sulo says, allow plenty of time (at least six weeks) for the application to be processed.

Have heard back from broker and the doctors report has gone to Chief Medical Officer for approval. Does anyone know if this is normal? It sounds quite negative to me!

Yes, its normal for the Dr report to go to the Chief Medical Officer, you actually lucky the report & the review are been processed quickly as sometimes there can be delays with either. Depending on the level of risk the ins company may place a loading on the policy premium from 10%-50%. You do not have to accept the level of loading, you can appeal or try another insurance company. If the premium is particularly high, the bank can waive the mortgage protection rule, but if you can afford it at all, the the waiver is not something you should consider, as the insurance is peace of mind for the future.

Have heard back from broker and the doctors report has gone to Chief Medical Officer for approval. Does anyone know if this is normal? It sounds quite negative to me!

There's nothing sinister about the Chief Medical Officer. All life insurance companies have one. Their own staff would be trained in assessing medical applications for life insurance, but would not usually be doctors. The CMO is an experienced consultant doctor who would look at applications where there might be a medical condition or medical report that would benefit from having a medical opinion.

I've seen instances where a condition has been described on a GP report in a way that's unusual. The CMO might look at the GP's report and decide that the condition described is trivial and can be ignored.

Thank you all for your responses. Heres hoping its not an issue. This mortgage application process will be the death of me :)

Back