High Water Table causing septic tank problems

milly123

Hi there,

I need some advice, badly. Our home was build in 1993 and we have lived in it for 6 years. There have been ongoing problems with the septic tank every winter, with drains overflowing, toilets backing up etc. We got a new soak pit put in this year and the guy who did the work said the problem is there is a really high water table and the water cannot drain away suffiicentley in wet weather. I have spoken to neighbours and they all seem to be suffering similar problems. The recent wet weather means that untreated water is now sitting on top of the grass and it stinks! I'm at a loss as to what to do. I have looked at getting in a new system (Biorock was one I looked at) but they all seem to work similarly to a septic tank, so I suspect we will still have the drainage problems. If it is a case that there is a high water table, how did the original owners ever get planning permission, as I'm sure it wouldn't have passed a perculation test. Anyhow, does anyone have any advice as to where to go from here ? It would be really appreciated - thank you.

Firstly regarding the product you mentioned you have to be careful that your local authority or town council approve of the system you might install. This usually means an Irish Agrement Board Certificate but in some areas a product with a suitable EU standard may be acceptable.

Secondly IMO with a high water table no amount of high tech trickery, fancy treatment systems, etc etc is going to solve that. The only way is to raise the percolation area (sometimes significantly with imported soil) and pump your waste water to it, after initial treatment in the septic tank or treatement system.
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

If you can't lower the water table -- by drainage and/or soil importation -- then your only alternative is to build a percolation area above ground and install a pump or a proprietory treatment system -- with a pump.

Last edited by a moderator:
Milly, you need a consultant here, check your local councils database for a list of suitably qualified persons, do not engage or purchase a treatment system without consulting someone independent. you may also find that planning permission is required. if its a widespread neighbourhood issue maybe there is scope to get a group scheme going to collectively solve the problem.. best of luck with it..

Thank you all for your advice. I did think of holding off until we have to register our septic tank with the new regulations that are being brought in this year. I'm also wondering how exactly they inspect a septic tank to ensure it's working properly, do any if you know ? If it was inspected during a dry spell , this problem wouldn't be obvious.

Thanks again.

I have also noticed that when there is very heavy rain, like there has been over recent weeks, I tend to get the odd whiff out around the back of the house.

Thankfully I don't have any dirt lying on my grass or anything, but wondering if there is more chance of getting a residual smell from your tank during very heavy rainy periods?

Hi all

I am very grateful for all the advice I received about this problem and wanted to update you with our progress, which has been very slow and disappointing to say the least. We had three county council approved engineers out to look at the problem and all gave different recommendations. The three solutions were raised bed and discharge of the clean water to a nearby watercourse. The second solution involved ring drainage where drains are Installed around the percolation area so that no land water floods it and it gets discharged to nearby watercourse. The third solution was to dig a 12 foot hole and hope to reach rock which if successful would mean extending the percolation area over this rock and that would solve our problem. We went with the third option but unfortunately found no rock only marle non percolating clay. The 12ft hole is still open in the garden and currently has about 8ft of water sitting in it. So it seems that there is zero drainage in the garden and this is most likely the problem rather than what we originally thought I.e. high water table.

We are now at a loss as to how to proceed. Should we dig deeper than 12 ft in order to find this rock or go ahead with the raised bed which will cost a small fortune. I'm really at my wits end and if any of you have any thoughts I would be really pleased to hear them. Thanks in advance.

Milly, the solution for you is a Bord na mona puraflo system. I have a similar site to you and have this system installed with no problems. Expensive but if you are planning to stay in this house it will be a good investment. [broken link removed]

Milly I really sympathise with your plight - it is a disgrace and a shame on the system we have had in place in the past. Out of interest which county are you in?
This story is indicative of how terrible the planning and building process has been in this country. If your neighbours are having the same problems then somebody was telling 'porkie pies' either about the percolation tests or did not do their job in checking that the site were compliant with EPA guidelines (2000). If there are no regular checks on the building process and builders and installers are allowed to self check their own work, it is people like you that suffer. You have bought a problem and should be able to sue the incompetent builders or local authority or surveyor - but that is another world and such common sense logic like that doesn't work in Ireland.
I am an engineer, but not with specific work experience of these issues other than having a selfbuild myself. The only workable option ended up to be the raised mound system. Water will always find it's own level and only going well above it was able to resolve the difficult ground situation for us. Maybe the other engineer solutions might work. The geological survey of ireland should give you an indication if rock is likely to be present - but as I said water will find it's own level.
Still as co2design said you need an expert - check with the original planning documents to make sure you don't get the same 'expert' as did the 'job' originally.

Thank you both for your reply. Fear peile can I ask how much your system cost ? I have just emailed Biocycle for a quote so waiting to hear back. Woodie the house is in Co Kilkenny. I fear we will never get a proper solution. We are actually hoping to sell this house as soon as but this problem is holding us up. Up until moving to the country we lived in an urban area where we took things like mains water and mains sewerage for granted. Not to mention street lights and not being reliant on a car to get around. I'm starting maternity leave shortly and my husband is unemployed. I feel trapped due to financial constraints and worry constantly . Not a nice way to live

Milly, you would really need to get a rep out to do a site survey for a proper quotation. You already have the septic tank so that should reduce cost somewhat.

Thank you for your reply. I will get in touch with them and try to arrange that. I'm glad it had worked out well for you - hopefullly we can get it sorted soon.

Back