Motor Can I claim if accident was my fault

netz

Would appreciate some advice please. Last week I was involved in a car accident - it was totally my fault, I drove into car at traffic lights. I broke my collar bone, wrecked my car. The other car, no injuries thankfully, and minor damage. I have a personal injury benefit on my policy for 17.5K but my insuance compant say I cannot claim myself for personal injury. Can anyone clarify this for me please.

If its defined as "benefit" on your policy then you should be able to avail of it. As it effectively the same as a personal accident policy and you do not have to prove blame just that you have temporary total/partial disablement. It would pay a lump sum or weekly benefit once you satisfy the criteria.

What you cannot do is make a claim against your policy for your own injuries. And it will not cover your hospital costs.

Maybe the product you have was an add-on provided if you went through a broker for example. I know our place sell a breakdown add-on and personal accident cover is part of that. Or it could just be the person you are talking to you is misunderstanding what you are asking!

If you have medical payment or PIP coverage on your own auto policy, it will pay for any medical bills due to this accident.

But......if your insurance company finds you at fault for this accident, then if you are looking for pain/suffering from your injuries, then NO you can not claim this, since YOU are the responsible for causing your own injuries.

Back