Leaving Ireland to find work in the UK

diana f

Hello,

My husband is in receipt of Jobseeker's Allowance for the past 12 months. In addition to this he receives a payment for me of E124.00 and an allowance for our two children.

He is due to leave for London in a couple of days. He has found lodging/b&b accommodation for three weeks, which he will pay for via his credit card.

My question is: Is he allowed to retain his payment whilst seeking employment in the UK, thereby ensuring we are provided for in his absence. Currently, he draws the payment weekly from the local post office.

If he can't keep the payment, is there anything we can do in the run up to his finding employment?

Finally, what is the procedure for when he does secure work? He intends to stay over there for several months once he does.

Thank you.

Jobseekers Allowance is not transferable outside Ireland. If you are available for work, you could make a claim in your own name. Your husband's earningswould be assessed.

Note that if your husband is working in the UK, while you live here with children, you will not be entitled to Child Benefit here if you are not working. Your husband would have to claim it in the UK under EU rules.

Hello gipimann,
I had encountered this cb situation before when my husband worked in the UK. As I am self employed over here I qualified under the Irish cb system, plus the fact the children reside with me.

Apparently, the UK pay for those children whose spouses/partners are working there and the Irish welfare system make up the difference to compensate for the financial shortfall in amounts.

Are you currently working? It wasn't clear from the first post when you mentioned that your husband received a qualified adult increase for you. If your circumstances are the same now as they were previously, then you should be ok regarding child benefit.

Hello gipimann,

I am sorry for the long delay in replying to you. Thank you for your reply.

Back