Driving fine but wrong spelling of surname

rollo28

Hi all,

Just a quick query regarding the above.

I got stopped by the Garda after going through an amberish light a few weeks back.

I got my fine for €80 through the post on Monday and tried to pay for it yesterday in the post office by credit card, but they wouldn't accept it as my surname was miss pelt.

What is my next option now? Could I not be liable to have to pay this fine?

I know people will say that I should accept ownership and pay the fine but I genuinely didn’t think I went through a red light in the first place, and the way the Ban Garda behaved after she pulled me over was outrageous, so I would be delighted to get away with it!!

Many thanks in advance.

Rollo28

how badly was it mis-spelled? 1 letter?
I don't have an answer, but answering the above may help others answer it

(p.s. the PC brigade may come out in force about the use of 'Ban Garda'..you can't distinguish anymore!!)

Did they give you any advice in teh Post Office - I am sure it is not the first time they came across this.
Is there not a phone no on the notice that you can ring?
I would try to sort it before it escilates to a summons.

Hi all,

I got stopped by the Garda after going through an amberish light a few weeks back.

I got my fine for €80 through the post on Monday and tried to pay for it yesterday in the post office by credit card, but they wouldn't accept it as my surname was miss pelt.

Rollo28

What is an amberish light ? Regardless, an amber light means you need to stop, unless it's not safe to do so.

An amber light means that you must not go beyond the stop line or, if there is no stop line, beyond the light. However, you may go on if you are so close to the line or the light when the amber light first appears that stopping would be dangerous.

The RSA.

Whilst the attitude of the Garda may have annoyed you, you clearly broke the law, fess up and pay the fine.

I had a fine through the post for using the phone whilst driving that had my name spelt incorrectly (an extra 'e' inserted).

The Garda was copying my name straight off my licence... how inept do you have to be to get into the Gardai...?

Anyway, I've read here somewhere before that the spelling is not important and if it were to go to court it would be deemed an acceptable error. The fine is obviously for you despite the spelling mistake.

If its of any help to you, I sent a cheque through the post.

I had a fine through the post for using the phone whilst driving that had my name spelt incorrectly (an extra 'e' inserted).

The Garda was copying my name straight off my licence... how inept do you have to be to get into the Gardai...?

Anyway, I've read here somewhere before that the spelling is not important and if it were to go to court it would be deemed an acceptable error. The fine is obviously for you despite the spelling mistake.

If its of any help to you, I sent a cheque through the post.

The garda was inept enough to spot you! You were breaking the law.

Bit harsh dont you think?

Spelling mistakes can be made by anyone, no matter what profession.

Back