eircom phone handset rental charges

arbitron

Just to make people aware, I have recently discovered that several older relatives have been paying monthly rental fees for Telecom Éireann phones for the past 20+ years. It costs them approximately €30 per phone per year.

I understand that they signed up for it, caveat emptor, etc. but it is a total waste of money. None of the phones have been used in years and they presumed that the original phones had just been paid off, like a buy to rent.

I called eircom and cancelled immediately. They asked me to post back the handsets by freepost, which I will do, but the phones are so old and dilapidated I can only imagine they plan to offload them to a museum or antique shop!

Last edited:
I noticed that and cancelled handsets about 15 years ago. Can't believe they are still doing it. One more reason (as if I needed any more) I will never, ever be going back to Eircom.

They asked me to post back the handsets by freepost, which I will do, but the phones are so old and dilapidated I can only imagine they plan to offload them to a museum or antique shop!

Good job you still have the phones, as they could have sought extra fees had you not been able to return them.

I took the other option many years ago and offered them £10 for it. We still have it -strictly ornamental in the hall but it has a great loud ring. You'd never miss a call

Back