N & L Plates

149oaks

We have 1 car and children who have a mix of Provisional & recent Full Licenses. So to comply with the law do we have to display both N & L plates on the front & rear windows? If so won't this restrict the view and so be unsafe?

We have 1 car and children who have a mix of Provisional & recent Full Licenses. So to comply with the law do we have to display both N & L plates on the front & rear windows? If so won't this restrict the view and so be unsafe?

What about the insurance,tax and nct discs?
What about all the sat nav things that might be hanging off the front windscreen?

Make sure the young ones with a provisional licence have a person with a full licence in the car with them when they are driving,as from today if they dont have 1 in the car then its penalty points time.:D

If both L & N are displayed, how are other road users to know which one is applicable?

If both L & N are displayed, how are other road users to know which one is applicable?

Maybe neither are applicable, just as has been the case for decades now. Just because a car had L-plates didn't necessarily mean that the driver was a learner. So just continue to show care and consideration that you have shown previously and you'll be alright.

Surely you display the plate relevent to the driver.
If a qualified driver is driving - no plate diplayed
If a learner is driving - the L plate
If a recent full licence driver is driving - the N plate

That is unless you are driving a rocket, and then the science is a bit more complicated.

That is unless you are driving a rocket, and then the science is a bit more complicated.

That's how I'd see it too.

Can you get plates that are easily removed and replaced though?

Thanks for the replies. Problem is multiple drivers with different law requirements for each. Remove & replace plates maybe 2/3 times per day is not pratical. So both N & L have to be displayed at all times. Have asked RSA but they are of no use and keep telling me that the view must be unrestricted. But having to keep within the law and have 2 plates up restricts the view - how they might measure/intrepret the view I don't know. There seems to be an anomoly here somewhere. BTW no sat nav and disc space for NCT, Tax & Insurance is smaller than 1 plate.

I don't think there are different law requirements. The requirement is to display the correct plate for the correct driver. If you are displaying multiple plates then you are not adhering to the law (in my opinion). Being practical is not relevant (this is the law we're talking about after all! (joke)).

Even practically, you cannot believe that displaying multiple plates makes sense? How is a guard to know if there is a learner driver there (who must legally be accompanied) or an N plater, who does not, or a full licence holder, if you are displaying both an N and an L plate?

What I predict will happen is what I saw in Australia this year when I was there. My niece had a P plate (same as our N plate). These were on a suction hook stuck to the window. When I was driving, the plates were taken down, and when she was driving, the plates were hooked back on. There were severe fines for not displaying the plates, or displaying them incorrectly when I was driving (with a full licence).

Problem is multiple drivers with different law requirements for each.
If it were me I'd just leave up the L-plates at all times, and forget about it. In the highly unlikely event that I ended up in court I'd explain it to the judge.

The plates just have to be visible, they don't have to be on the windscreen. Magnetic ones work fine on bodywork.

If it was me I'd put them both up and leave them there until tests are passed / N requirements end.

Back