"weak" reference from previous employer

cerebral

Hi All,

Can anyone provide me with some guidance in this situation, where a previous employer has provided a weak reference. I was not aware of any problems when in the role and am extremely shocked to hear this feedback from a prospective employer.

Fortunately I have a good supply of other referees but am really angry that this has happened.

Any advice on how to deal with this situation much appreciated.

I would visit the previous employer & ask what was the problem - if you ring they can easily fob you off

Define "weak" - A previous employer has only to state you worked for them from start date to end date.

I believe there have been cases taken against people for giving good references but turned out they were lying. The company I work for, the HR dept will only give a reference stating I worked for them from x - to y dates.

I understand however it is against the law to give a "bad" reference, such as Johhny was lazy, always late etc etc.

I don't think it's against the law, just looking for trouble as the ex-employee would likely try and sue for the slightest inaccuracy. I would think most employers don't need the hassle.

I have asked the potential employer if they can provide me with further information and they are checking with their HR. I left this previous role on good terms with my employer and asked their permission to use them as a reference. I am absolutely fuming that this has happened. If they are not willing to give a suitable reference then they should have told me and I simply would have used someone else.

I understand however it is against the law to give a "bad" reference, such as Johhny was lazy, always late etc etc.

No. It's not against the law to give an accurate reference. Of course, if it is untrue, it would be defamatory.

it's better for an employer to say "he worked here from x to y " and add some harmless, positive comment:

"he was a good timekeeper"
"She always presented herself well"
"He got on very well with his colleagues"
"She had lovely handwriting"

Under the Data Protection Act, a person could ask to see their file and read any references, so an employer would be foolish to give a bad reference which they could not back up.

Brendan

Back