1 yr Contract - Paid Holiday Entitlement?

polo1

Hi
I have read the other threads with regards to this but could not find anything that specifically answers the following. Also tried to gain information from Oasis but not clear enough.

I have a friend who is in employment with an Org on free-lance / contract basis for 1 yr. When she took the contract she told them that she had to take 6wks unpaid leave because she was getting married. This was no issue. Last xmas she was given 2 wks off as the org was closed for xmas. I believe she was paid for these - so I guess in total - 7 working days taking away holidays. They have indicated that they did this as a gesture of good will..

Relations have broken down for various reasons and now her contract is not been re-newed. Now she is wondering whether she is entitled to paid holidays for the duration of this contract..

So is she entitled to the 8% of the hrs worked, say 16 days less the 7 already worked.
Should she go to the HR department and advise them of this. I believe that they have told her that she wasnt entitled to paid holidays.... Can they do this or is this statutory?

Should she go now or wait till the contract is nearly finished as she does not want to take the holidays - she would rather get paid for them.. Her schedule is very tight at present to finish what she is doing, but she reckons they could get sticky in terms of her taking the holidays.

your thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks

Was she an actual employee of the organisation, or working through another company?

If she wasn't an employee of the organisation, she did pretty well to get paid leave for Christmas.

Back