Buying an older house - question on electrics / rewiring

onekeano

My daughter is buying her first house and I had a survey carried out. A key issue was the wiring. To quote from the report:

"Electrician’s examination of the electrical circuits with a view to rewiring of the
entire in accordance with current Electro-Technical Regulations."

The house is late 1950's and is located in Santry. It's a bog standard 3 bed semi - around 80 sq m.

Any idea how much I should expect to pay for rewiring including an MCD?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Roy

My daughter is buying her first house and I had a survey carried out. A key issue was the wiring. To quote from the report:

"Electrician’s examination of the electrical circuits with a view to rewiring of the
entire in accordance with current Electro-Technical Regulations."

The house is late 1950's and is located in Santry. It's a bog standard 3 bed semi - around 80 sq m.

Any idea how much I should expect to pay for rewiring including an MCD?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Roy

A friend of ours who renovated a 3 bed semi-d house in the estate behind Omni Park Shopping Centre very recently paid 4000 euro for a complete house strip out and rewire with new consumer board.

That also included twin co-ax cables and also 2 x Cat6 cables to each TV point/location in the house.This allows for Sky/UPC and Broadband/IPTV and also any future multi media devices.Electrician also wired for new front porch lights and lights for the kitchen french doors.He also got the attic wired with 2 double sockets and a light too.All the sockets and switchs fitted were standard MK white plastic fittings and switch plates.

The final price will also depend on how many extra sockets and lights your daughter wants and also the type of finish on the fittings (chrome,stainless steel,brushed steel or plain white plastic).

Yep, the above is spot on. There are a few previous threads also (there are more, use search to locate)

Before they move in, the option of chasing any new cable runs should be considered. Messy job to do depending on construction methods, but much neater results.

Flowerman's suggestion of running some Cat6 cable at the same time is a good one.

Thanks Leo - I agree that Flowermans thread is very helpful.

Flowerman - is it possible to post the name of the company who did this job because it sounds like the exact area where my daughter is buying and I'd be interested in getting a quote next week?

Roy

Back