Process Engineering MSc - any point?

Schaeler2013

I've noticed a Process Engineering MSc course, though I'm wondering if there is any point to completing such a course in terms of employment?

When I look through job adverts for Process Engineers, they almost invariably ask for a Bachelors degree in Mech Engineering or a Science such as Physics, then most ask for, say, 3 years relevant experience.

A much smaller number of ads ask for the Bachelors but no experience.

So if wanting to go into this field presumably you apply for the much smaller number of jobs which don't require experience, then at a later date the rest of the Process Engineering jobs can be applied for when experience has been attained.

Though I haven't as yet seen any ads requesting someone with an MSc in Process Engineering.

Therefore, I was wondering if there's any point in completing such a course from a future employment perspective?

Is it a taught 1 year masters? Do you have a BSc in PE? If so, is the MSc more suitable for non PE graduates?

Are you looking at process systems engineering, Chemical process engineering etc? What is the course composition?

Are you looking at process systems engineering, Chemical process engineering etc? What is the course composition?

I would not particularly want to go into Chemical Process Engineering, as I won't have a Chemistry degree.

These are the modules I would take.

Project and Energy Management

20 points

Analysis and Computer Simulation of Chemical Processes

20 points

Advanced Catalysis and Reaction Engineering

20 points

Management & Economics

20 points

Research Project

60 points

Environmental Management and Loss Prevention

20 points

Polymer Process Engineering

20 points

That reads like it’s tailored to suit the pharma/chemical processing sector.

That reads like it’s tailored to suit the pharma/chemical processing sector.

I realised the second module is. I thought possibly the others weren't so much and might be applicable to other non-chem process engineering.

Contact employers you would want to work for, HR Manager preferably, and ask them would the MSc give you an advantage over BSc ...

One year Fulltime, or two years part time if you get employment ... have done fulltime route and is hard, but doable .

Would advise you to contact employers

Back