Is a new contract required for salary increase?

Wollran

Is it necessary to be given a new contract for a salary increase? Or is it just a "nice to have"?

Or would a letter suffice?

In my case I've been told neither are necessary.

Many thanks
Wollran

If you already have an employment contract then that covers it, a salary increase in these times is very welcome, you are obviously valued, it would be usual to receive something even an e-mail from H.R. but it will be shown on your salary slip anyway, accept it with thanks and move on.

Letter indicating increase and new salary signed by some manager and possibly HR is usual in our company.

If you already have an employment contract then that covers it, a salary increase in these times is very welcome, you are obviously valued, it would be usual to receive something even an e-mail from H.R. but it will be shown on your salary slip anyway, accept it with thanks and move on.

I dont think the "You should be glad to get it, be quiet and move on" attitude is very helpful to the OP. Confirmation in writing of a change in salary is a basic requirement.

I dont think the "You should be glad to get it, be quiet and move on" attitude is very helpful to the OP. Confirmation in writing of a change in salary is a basic requirement.

I would agree had I said that but you should re-read the post. You have applied a direct quote to me in your response when I never said those words, what nonsense.

Any pay rise I ever got I always made a point of saying thank you, to me it demonstrates good manners when your employer acknowledges your work tangibly with a pay increase.

Hello,

I would think it was regular practice to get confirmation of a new payrise in writting.

If your anxious to get some documentation as comfort and they've not provided you with this in writting, perhaps tell them your applying for a loan and you need your new salary certified for the lender - granted, it may be on a bank document, but better than nothing perhaps :)

I've been with my employer quite a long time and have had a variety of experiences when pay rises were granted, sometimes letters, sometimes emails and sometimes nothing. It's always good to have something in writing but sometimes it's not easy to get.

Back