Key Post Can I withdraw my shares if I have a loan?

Brendan Burgess

Founder
This question was asked by Limelawn in this thread

loan|€5,700
shares|€5,500
Net borrowing|€ 200

Limelawn needs about €800 for Xmas.

The Credit Union Act says:

The borrower cannot insist on making a withdrawal.

He can apply to the Credit Union, and if the Board approves, he can withdraw money as long as he keeps 25% of the outstanding loan in shares.

shares|€5,500
He must keep 25% of €5,700|€1425
So the board can approve a withdrawal of up to |€4,075
Can the manager approve the withdrawal?
No. It must be approved at a board meeting.

If you need the money in a hurry?
The manager can approve an immediate increase in the loan and you can then wait for the board meeting to approve the withdrawal.

But our CU does not limit loans to 4 times savings?
Some CUs will lend only 4 times savings. Most have dropped this practice, so they may well give you 10 times your savings. But once you have a loan and savings in place, the CU Act forbids you from reducing the savings below 25%. This is not a matter of CU policy. This is the law.

What else should the borrower be considering?
If Limelight has a progressive Credit Union he should ask the Board to set his entire shares against his loan account, thus reducing his balance to €200. You can find out how to do this in this thread.

They should then increase his loan by €800.

What if the CU refuses?
In Limelight's particular case where he has net indebedness of only €200 on which he is paying the CU at least 100% interest, he should borrow €200 from a friend, or even on his credit card, and pay off the CU loan in full.

My CU offers 2 types of loan, one at 9% and one at 5% interest. The 5% interest loan is fully secured on shares, so for example a 4k loan is secured on 4k of shares. Presumably with this loan you would not be allowed to reduce your shares down to 1k?

My CU offers 2 types of loan, one at 9% and one at 5% interest. The 5% interest loan is fully secured on shares, so for example a 4k loan is secured on 4k of shares. Presumably with this loan you would not be allowed to reduce your shares down to 1k?

No, once you reduce belowthe secured amount, you will revert to the higher rate. You need to call in to the office and get this done for you there. Caveat - CUs may differ in their approaches to this.

I wasn't aware of this type of loan.

The CUs are issuing loans where the borrower must match it in full with savings?

Or is it where someone has a loan and they put money on deposit equal to that amount, the interest rate is reduced on the loan?

Brendan

Back