Working a second job and tax credits etc

springbaby

Hi all
Looking for some advice I am employed in the public service on a permanent basis however my husband is out of work and I am considering taking on a second job part time I'm just wondering how will I overcome emergency tax etc because my main income will be public service job

Thanks

First thing to do would be to ensure you've transferred over as much of your husband's tax credits and standard rate band to yourself as you can.

If having done that, you are already paying 41% tax in your main job (which would be the case if you earn more than the low 40k's) then there would be no benefit in having any of your tax credits applied to your new job - you'd only end up with a see-saw effect, your take home pay from your main job would reduce by the same amount that the net pay in the other job increases.

If you earn below about 42k then you should have some unused rate band that can be applied to the new job, and would mean paying a bit less tax there, without it affecting your net pay in your main job.

Unless you earn less than about €25k in your main job you'll probably be already using all of your tax credits there, so there won't be any unused to transfer to the second job.

Clear as mud?!

Back