Back to education but fees NOT paid

B

busysaver

My son, a carpenter, aged 27, spent 3 years working in Australia and is home now for one year. He had difficulty getting Jobseekers allowance as he was away for over 2 years ( though saving Social Welfare pay outs )
but finally qualified. Now he wants to go to College and will qualify for Back to Education Allowance once he is back one year. But because he is not back 3 years he will not get his 1st 2 years college fees paid. He will get 3rd and 4th year paid as he will then be home 3 years !!!

Is there any point in appealing this 3 year rule ?

I find these rules hard to accept for Irish Citizens who have paid tax etc here and whose parents have done likewise.

My son, a carpenter, aged 27, spent 3 years working in Australia and is home now for one year. He had difficulty getting Jobseekers allowance as he was away for over 2 years ( though saving Social Welfare pay outs )
but finally qualified. Now he wants to go to College and will qualify for Back to Education Allowance once he is back one year. But because he is not back 3 years he will not get his 1st 2 years college fees paid. He will get 3rd and 4th year paid as he will then be home 3 years !!!

Is there any point in appealing this 3 year rule ?

I find these rules hard to accept for Irish Citizens who have paid tax etc here and whose parents have done likewise.

What the parents have done or not done is irrelevant as he's over 18.
Did he continue to pay his social insurance while he was away? I'm not sure what you mean by " though saving Social Welfare pay outs".
I don't see any problem with a person who hasn't paid tax here for 2 years not getting their 3rd level fees paid. I also don't see what citizenship has to do with it; it's about where you pay your taxes, not where you were born.

Actually, for the maintenance grant system (which deals with the fees), it is very relevant what the parents have and have not done. If the student is under 23, entitlement is based on the parents' income even if the student has been living independently for the past number of years. The student who is under 23 is assessed on his/her parents' income, even if those parents are now living in Australia and the student is completely independent. Strange but true! As the OP's son is 27, its not particularly relevant here but felt compelled to comment:)

As for the decision being based on where the student pays taxes? I would imagine that alot of students who qualify for the maintenance grants and/or fees paid have never paid a bean of tax in Ireland or elsewhere. Certainly this is the case for my child and all of her peers, that I am familiar with. In some instances the parent(s) might never have paid a bean of tax either (not in my own experience)... This would suggest that the OP's case is somewhat unfair, especially if the son has only missed paying tax here for 3 years out of their whole career and the parent may have only ever paid tax here for the whole career. HOWEVER, this decision is not made on tax paid or not paid, it is a residence decision.

It is the rule and would see no grounds for appealing.

Glad he got the BTEA though. Valuable payment.

Thanks Fababby - you have answered my question nicely, and for making it clear for other members what the criteria is - much appreciated

Back