Verbal notification of office closure and new contract offer

justwond

At an employee meeting, my employer recently informed everyone in my workplace that our office was to close in its current location and re-establish itself elsewhere. We were given a time frame for closure and a letter notifying us that the office was closing and we would be made redundant. We were not given formal redundancy notification at the time or since then and have been expecting this closer to the time the office closes. Subsequently, my employer offered an extension of my current contract for a fixed period to help establish the new office. At the end of this fixed period, I would be made redundant. Terms for this extension were agreed (verbally) and the offer of the extension (without terms) and expenses I could claim was also given (by email). I accepted the offer verbally pending a final contract to be signed by me. My employer has now decided to extend the period that our office will be open and run the two locations at the same time until the new location is fully up and running. This basically wipes out any need to give me this contract. It also puts other people in a bad position who have indicated that they could start new jobs soon (based on the closure date we were given).

I have a few questions in relation to this:

As our employer gave an office closure date and people have in some cases accepted jobs, can this be reversed by the employer?

Does the verbal offer of a fixed contract extension and terms stand?

Can a company cancel redundancy plans?

Back