Statutory period on bullying claim?

elainem

I have a friend from my schooldays who was bullied out of his job in accountancy six years ago - now still even the mention of the firm sends him into a tailspin.

It's a weird situation - he is still on their books as an employee, but receives no money from them, just money from income protection insurance and social welfare.

If he were somehow able to get himself together enough to put a case forward for damages for bullying (psychiatrist has diagnosed PTSD related to the bullying), is there a statutory limit on the time in which he has to bring a claim for bullying against his employers?

Prior to this, and even now, even meeting someone just randomly from his old employment sets him back months - it was very traumatic at the time. However, his family think he needs to break the link with this firm as that is the only way he can move on with his life.

Yet doing this, means taking a claim for bullying against the firm - which is something I am not sure my friend is mentally or physically able to do.

Any comments/advice welcome.

This unfortunately strikes me as in the realm of personal injuries and these claims are statute barred after 2 years. However, there may be facts that I am not aware of - such as it may have only come into his knowledge that he was in fact suffering ptsd and this arose within the last two years.

I would refer to a solicitor as this is case specific and it could well be that the employer has liability if they did not take action.

Staturoty period on bullying claim?

Hi! Dr. Wizzard, yes, I think it is in the realm of personal injuries and I think, unfortunately for my friend, you may be right. My friend told me that he had asked a solicitor some years ago, and he said the time limit on such claims was two years. I feel this is wrong in cases where there may be trauma/depression and the person just cannot get the wherewithal to start the legal process. In another way, it's probably just as well as I think it would be a very stressful process to go through.

@elainm - there may be a possibility that because of the treatment that his awareness only arose recently. I would seek legal advice.

Back