Ulster to KBC

exDanske

Hi,

Apologies if this is rather basic "google yourself" type question, but I thought I should ask the experts... (I am rather poor at managing money).

As the username suggests, I had to move my current account from Danske to Ulster Bank (purely because I already had an Ulster Bank account from years ago). In the process I had to take all my savings out of Danske as well, which is also sitting in Ulster current account at the moment.

Looking at Deposits / Regular Savings best buy thread, it looks like KBC's offer is the best at 4.5%. I hope to start a regular saver of 3-400 euro a month (Is this flexible? Can I change the amount a few months later). And I have about 50k to put into some sort of savings account. As always moving current account / direct debits etc is a pain in the neck, and my mortgage is with Danske/Pepper, so I will need to sort that out as well. However, apart from the obvious, is there any pitfalls with moving to KBC as my main bank? I understand PTSB is the other popular option.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Hi,

Looking at Deposits / Regular Savings best buy thread, it looks like KBC's offer is the best at 4.5%. I hope to start a regular saver of 3-400 euro a month (Is this flexible? Can I change the amount a few months later).

I don't know about your wider queries but the maximum limit with the KBC Regular Saver (and most other accounts of this nature) is €1k a month. You could open a KBC and a Nationwide UK (4%) and PTSB (2.7%) account, which would mean €3k going in each month.

Looking at Deposits / Regular Savings best buy thread, it looks like KBC's offer is the best at 4.5%. I hope to start a regular saver of 3-400 euro a month (Is this flexible? Can I change the amount a few months later). And I have about 50k to put into some sort of savings account. As always moving current account / direct debits etc is a pain in the neck, and my mortgage is with Danske/Pepper, so I will need to sort that out as well. However, apart from the obvious, is there any pitfalls with moving to KBC as my main bank? I understand PTSB is the other popular option.

The bonus part of the 4.5% rate expires 30 June 2015.

Pitfalls with KBC include mandatory fees with no waiver, introductory bonuses that expire, no cash services, no cheque services and a tiny branch network.

You will be financially better off with a PTSB who offer full service banking with no fees provided you deposit at least 1,500 EUR into the account per month.

Thank you both.

KBC rate goes down from 4.5% to 3.5% if I remember correctly, however PTSB is only offering 2.4%? The difference 1.1% of 50k saved would be around 550 euro. Would you still recommend PTSB as a better overall package?

PS: I reread rob oyle's post - and now I see that I need to open multiple accounts to get 50k to get the maximum returns. Thanks.

I bank with Ulster in Ireland and now with KBC abroad. KBC are fantastic to deal with, I remortgaged more than a year ago with them, and the whole process was so easy I couldn't believe it. Didn't even need to get a valuation or anything. One on one with the mortgage manager, and she had the power right there and then to make a decision, no head office malarky. Not sure if it's the same in Ireland.

I have a litany of woes in relation to Ulster.

Back