Lisbon/Cascais/Fatima info please

ROSS

Hi
I am arranging a trip for the in-laws in early June and they are using Cascais as their base thanks to advice received here. They will do day trips to Lisbon and Fatima but I would like recommendations for things to see and do and ideally some nice local restaurants also.
We have an apartment sorted in Cascais for the 4 nights and now I just want to put together an itinary for them.
Cheers

In Lisbon the Alfama (very old quarter) is interesting to ramble around the narrow little streets. The Jeronimos monastery,where you'll find the final resting place of Vasco da Gama & indeed was built to celebrate his great discoveries is also of interest.
A trip to Lisbon wouldn't be worth doing without going to the banks of the Tagus to see the Discoveries Monument & the Belem tower. This is the place where those intrepid explorers set sail all those years ago.http://www.golisbon.com/sight-seeing/discoveries.html

The town of Sintra isn't much further west than Caiscais. It's a charming town where the Summer palace is worth a look if only for it's many tiles. Along this coast you also get to see the most western point of continental Europe.

Might be a good idea to bring a packed lunch when visiting Fatima. I was only there a few hours & the few restaurants there were - not very appealing looking either I might add - were packed out with hardly room to move. The local visitors all seem to bring picnics with them.

Afraid I'm not good on recommending restaurants or shopping. I'm much more interested in the sightseeing & history. It's a lovely area & one I hope to re-visit some day. I'm sure they'll have a lovely time.

I just returned from that region at the weekend after bringing my mother-in-law to Fatima. Be sure to head over to the coastline from Fatima as there are some beautiful beaches both north and south of Peniche. Obidos is not to be missed, it is located on a hill just west of the A8 motorway and is still encircled by a fortified wall. The well-preserved mediaeval look of its streets, squares, walls and its castle justify a visit, and it's not too far from Fatima, especially if you are hooking up with the A8 to get to Lisbon.

I would recommend a Portuguese phrase book, if only for the food translations as some of the restaurants we went to did not have English speaking waiters (adds to the fun). Meals are incredibly cheap and we had some great (and not so great) experiences, don't be put off by unsophisticated looking appearances of restaurants. Also, snack bars tend to offer a very good menu and are definitely better stocked than a snack bar that we would expect. Also, be sure to try the local wines, some are very good and unbelievably priced. I even bough some Vinho Tinto da Casa in a restaurant in Lourinha straight from the dinner table @ €3.75 per bottle after tasting it during the meal.

Have a great trip.

Hi
I am arranging a trip for the in-laws in early June and they are using Cascais as their base thanks to advice received here. They will do day trips to Lisbon and Fatima but I would like recommendations for things to see and do and ideally some nice local restaurants also.
We have an apartment sorted in Cascais for the 4 nights and now I just want to put together an itinary for them.
Cheers

My parents went to Cascais and really enjoyed it.

The highlight of their holiday was an organised day-trip to Sintra. It's a world heritage site and they adored it!

Back