Possible holiday destination

Z

z106

Has anyone any ideas for a holiday destination in April.

Me and my sister are taking my mother away for a week.

BAsically - ideally we would like sun,and someplace that isn't more than 3-4 hours flying.

In fact - someplace like Lanzarote - but not Lanzarote as we've been there a few times before.

But that kind of thing would be waht we're looking for.

How about Madeira? ( ex Dublin only I think ) or Fuerteventura, like Lanzarote only quieter. Weather in Canaries prob best bet in April.

we went to puerto rico (canaries) in april, gloria palace amadores, weather fab and in canaries, you would love it!!! would def recommend

I would say Fuerteventura
, Caleta de Fuste is only 10 mins from airport and a nice quiet resort with some great promenade walks.
if you need the name of accommodation PM me as was there twice and stayed in different places.

gran canaria, my friends just back from there. QUiet but nice food and sunshine!

gran canaria, my friends just back from there. QUiet but nice food and sunshine!
If your looking for the "quiet", I'd aim for Peurto Rico (as suggested already) and avoid Playa des Linges (sp??) (both on Gran Canaria).

Not so sure what the difference would be like around April, but during the Summer it would make a huge difference. PdL, during the Summer, would be filled with drunken students (speaking from experience :eek:) during Summer months.

Has anyone any ideas for a holiday destination in April.

Me and my sister are taking my mother away for a week.

If your looking for the "quiet", I'd aim for Peurto Rico (as suggested already) and avoid Playa des Linges (sp??) (both on Gran Canaria).

Agree with Satanta. However note that the resort is quite hilly and perhaps that might be an issue for your mother?

In April and because you want some sunshine, less than 4 hours travelling and because there are at least three of you.

I would suggest Mojacar Playa (Costa Almeria) for the following reasons:-

1. Ryanair serves Almeria airport from Dublin and Murcia airport from Shannon.

2. Costa Almeria has the driest climate of mainland europe and the least rainfall.

3. The beach is within 5 minutes walk of most apartments

4. There are many walks on the level and as difficult as you want

5. There are several childrens free play areas of decent quality along the playa

6. The restaurants are magnificent and you can have dinner (3 course) from €9.00.

7. Drink is also inexpensive.

8. Mojacar Playa is a working town all year round and therefore has supermarkets like in Ireland within walking distance of nearly everywhere.
Hairdressers, boutiques etc are nearby also.

9. You can buy wine for as little as 20c per bottle (however, I recommend you spend €3.00 and you would get a bottle the quality of €26.00 in Ireland).

10. Although not guaranteed the temperature will be in excess of 23 degrees most days.

11. If you are renting a car (recommended @ €100 per week for a Ford Fiesta) there are many beautiful drives to Cabo de Gata National Park (5 miles distant) and Mini Hollywood where several classic films were made.
The coast provides numerous scenic routes also.

12. The journey time to Almeria from Ireland by plane is under 2.5 hours.

13. You can bring back whiskey at €10 per bottle and cigarettes (incl John PLayer Blue) at a fraction of the price here.

14. Rent a privately owned centrally located apartment @ €350 for the week.

And the Bad Points:-

1. The end of your holiday

2. Returning to rainswept Ireland

Puerto Rico would be warmer but I think Leper is making the point Almeria is 2.5 hours flying time while Puerto Rico is more than 4 hours. Personally I did not like Almeria because swimming in the sea there can be dangerous due to tides. Puerto Rico is nice but as stated is quite hilly. Fortaventura perhaps best for you but flight around 4 hours.

. . . and the Canary Islands (Puerto Rico) are not in Europe and are even outside of the EU.

. . . and I did say mainland Europe.

. . . and yes the sea must be given respect, just because it is the Mediterranean does not mean it is any safer than say the Atlantic.

. . . and no offence taken.

Regards

Leper

Also OP is looking for somewhere that's not Lanzarote.......mainland Spain would be a bit of a change.

Good post Leper.......I might even try it myself sometime.

Back