Returning bins to Greyhound

L

lintalk

Has anybody had their bins taken back by Greyhound.

I have been e-mailing and phoning Greyhound's customer service since 18th January to take back my bins as I am going with another provider. I'm been told constantly to leave them out they will be collected. Three bins are out outside my house for nearly three weeks. I don't want to be left with six bins in my garden.
Has anyone had the experience of them actually being removed?

My sister had hers removed eventually. Lovely yellow grass where the bins were positioned for over 1 month waiting for them to be taken!! Don't give up.

Wait till you get a load of fines for leaving bins out on non bin days.

Hello,

I have been having a bit of a nightmare with this company "Greyhound".

Having had a bad experience with them as a customer (on and off, since they first took over from Dublin Council), I eventually decided to move to another provider approx 1 month ago.

Since then, I've sent about three letters and additional emails, asking them to remove their bins from my premises and refund my credit balance (which is substantial) and they just continue to ignore me. Also, I can never get anyone on their telephone lines, when I call and go onto a queue.

The above has all the signs of either the worst customer service in history of perhaps of even more concern, possibly trading difficulties.

Does anyone have any information or ideas on how I can get a resolution to my problems with them ?

Thank you.

Mr. Earl.

Hi Mr Earl

I had the same problem. It took around 3 months of emailing and calling to get rid of them.

They are an absolute disgrace.

Brendan

Thank you, Mr. Burgess.

Do you know if perhaps, there is a Regulator we can complain to about this problem or may I please ask you, how did you eventually manage to conclude your problem with them ?

Regards

Mr. Earl.

Mr Earl,

I'm having exactly the same problem with them. I was told it would take 3 to 4 weeks from cancelling my account to be refunded. 3 to 4 weeks because it "has to go through several departments"!!! How long since you cancelled?

Would it be worth contacting the NCA?

I'm going to call them every day and ask for the supervisor... and hope!

Have had the same problem with greyhound. Customer service a disgrace. Have found their pricing structure a disgrace. Can't understand why people stay with them. They did take over council,s client base so their obviously relying on people,s reluctance to change. Was glad I took time to select a far better/cheaper contractor.

Hello,

I am sorry to read that others are all having the same problems as myself, although I must confess I am certainly not shocked !

So, do people think that Greyhound are perhaps in financial trouble ?

Anyone got any ideas on how we can force the company, to give our money back (I for example, have a notable credit balance which I want returned) ?

Would I be within my rights, to give them X days to collect their bins, otherwise dispose of them myself given they are on my private property against my will ?

I do not think the NCA will do much to help to be honest, I think that they previously spoke with Greyhound and agreed that people could leave to go to a competitor and exit fees would not be charged, but the NCA won't do anything more I fear. Perhaps I am wrong ?

Thank you

Mr. Earl.

The local councils who passed on the business to them must have some responsibility here.

Have also moved away from Greyhound in the last month of so. Just wondering if the rest of you have received the letter we did late last week.

Only took a guick glance at it, hubbie is due to chase it up but:

In it Greyhound say that they are sorry to lose us etc, and that the bins will be collected (no date mentioned) and that our balance will be returned to us minus a 40 euro collection and sanitation fee for the bins and also minus 2 months fee as we cancelled within the year.

Need to go back through the paper work we've received from Greyhound in the past but wondering what the story is with this, as from my vague and distant memory I remember paying the council a deposit for the bins back when payment first came in.... or am I imagining that?

Have also moved away from Greyhound in the last month of so. Just wondering if the rest of you have received the letter we did late last week.

Only took a guick glance at it, hubbie is due to chase it up but:

In it Greyhound say that they are sorry to lose us etc, and that the bins will be collected (no date mentioned) and that our balance will be returned to us minus a 40 euro collection and sanitation fee for the bins and also minus 2 months fee as we cancelled within the year.

Need to go back through the paper work we've received from Greyhound in the past but wondering what the story is with this, as from my vague and distant memory I remember paying the council a deposit for the bins back when payment first came in.... or am I imagining that?

I wonder if it is acceptable to bill them for storage of the bin(s) until the day they call to collect them!
No payment no collection...
And continue to bill them until they do collect!!!

Hello,

While the concept of charging Greyhound for storage of their bins on my private property does appeal, the truth of the matter is I simply do not want to and will not agree to provide a storage facility for them. I believe after a reasonable time period (say 1 month) I should be free to dispose of them and simply invoice Greyhound for the cost of disposal.

I note the National Consumers Association had some contact with Greyhound and in principal, it seems to have been agreed that they would waive their charge for early termination of a customers' contract (however the NCA will not represent individual cases) - please see here: http://www.nca.ie/index.jsp?p=100&n=101&a=968

I also believe that the relevant Council should be held responsible for appointing Greyound, so in my case it is Dublin County Council & will be lodging a complaint with them. Those wishing to complain, may do so via one of the methods of contact on this page: [broken link removed]

I wonder do the Council(s) regulate Greyhound ?

Furthermore, I believe that the best option here, may be to commence legal proceedings against Greyhound. Given the amount involved, I think the Small Claims Courts may be appropriate and I have begun studying the process which would appear to only cost €25, in anticipating of commencing proceedings against the company (does this register as a Court Judgement, as with any other Court, assuming I am successful does anyone know please ?)

Reference: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/courts_system/small_claims_court.html

[broken link removed]

The more I think about how I and others are being treated here, the more annoyed I am becoming - it is completely unacceptable and sadly, requires us all to stand up for our rights.

Thank you all for your assistance, comments and support to date.

Regards

Mr. Earl.

I cannot remember how long it took Greyhound to remove my bins,but it took 9 months to get a refund from them,in my case. The amount involved was very small and would not have merited the cost,time and effort of pursuing via Small Claims. However,I would certainly have gone this route had the amount I was owed,merited it.

Update:

Our bins have been collected since I last posted.

No refund yet.

I am certainly not willing to wait 9 months for a refund so I fear Mr Earl may be correct in suggesting going the route of the small claims court.

Congratulations on making some progress Pavlov....

I still have not even received the courtesy of a response, not alone anything more.

As soon as I can make a little free time, I intend to commence the legal route and would urge anyone else being messed about by this shameful company, to do the same.

Regards

Mr. Earl.

Next update!

We got our refund yesterday...€20 short! We received it as a cheque in the post which I'm going to lodge promptly. I called them today about the €20 which they say will take 2 to 3 weeks to process.

They're a complete and utter joke. Each person I speak with in customer service has given different information to us at different times. I finally lost the rag and demanded to speak to a superior and got a team manager or leader in customer service who was able to give me definitive answers. Each time I call now I ask for her in particular. I also communicated with her by email so I had some proof of the communications and the information she had given me.

I just wonder if others are being short-changed...

I know this is an old thread but the theme is the same. I just tried to tell them to sling their hook due to non-collection of my green bin on Monday only to be told that there is a €40 cancellation fee. (No mention of a refund). As I have paid for the year I will continue till December but I have no intention of paying the 'sanitation fee'. I'm awaiting a response to my complaint to the (non) customer care section but I won't hold my breath. Has anyone managed to return the bins on finishing with this shower ?

I gave up trying to contact them. In the end I put a post on jumbletown and someone responded and had them taken in a few days.

I gave up trying to contact them. In the end I put a post on jumbletown and someone responded and had them taken in a few days.

Greyhounds loss is someone elses gain.

2nd hand wheelie bins sell for 20 euro each these days on donedeal and adverts.ie.
They also make for handy rainwater butts,fuel storage units and also for people who want a waste bin on their allotment plot.

Back