Is it ok to be a Trustee in this situation

gimp

I am on PHI benefit at present due to illness. I want to become a trustee on my own individual member company pension scheme which my PHI was attached to. At present company employee is Trustee. My "Tied" advisor has said maybe the Insurance Co could view me acting as trustee as that i am capable of work and try to use this as a reason for not paying the PHI claim in the future.
This seems like a crazy assumption, he was only suggsting it may be an issue as he wants to protect my existing benefits and not see me do anything that could be detrimental to this.
As far as i can see that is like saying because i manage my own bank account i am capable of working!!!

Surely this can not be a way out for an Insurance company and there must be people who are claiming on PHI and who are Trustees of their own scheme

While one can be unable to work due to illness just because you act as trustee on your own pension fund does not mean you can carry out normal/regular work. Being a trustee is not exactly a full time job but i want to have some control over the operation of my pension fund and being a trustee seems the best way of making sure everytihing is done in my interest. Again this is a single member executive scheme.
Hopefully someone can advise it is ok for me to be trustee

Many thanks in advance

Can't see that discussing it with Insurance Co would compromise the legitimacy of a PHI claim since it's normal policy for Insurance Co to be in regular contact with people benefiting from PHI claim anyway?

Back