Do I need cert of completion or compliance or both?

hogg

Hi
We got drawings done for our simple single story extension (no planning permission required) by an architectural technician as we wanted the builders to have drawings and someone to oversee the build. We also stupidly chose a builder the Arch Tech recommended!

Over the past 7 months of the build (5months over schedule) we rarely heard from the architect tech but the builder often mentioned the arch tech was on site so we didn't question it. However now as the build is almost complete we can see major problems. The Arch tech did a snag list with us late at night so he couldn't see the problems we had outside! Overall he agreed with us that the finish was poor and the roof was a mess and knew how unhappy we were and agreed with us and he wouldnt be recommending the builder again (yet the following week he told us we were being unfair not to give the builder a 3rd attempt try to fix things, this was when we realised the builder and Arch Tech were watching each others backs!.)

The strange thing is that the Arch tech said he would be able to give us a Cert? the following week, we assumed he meant a Cert of Compliance, but we didnt know how he could do this without revisiting the house, and especially as we have a leaking roof, no air vents & sloping floors. doing a bit of research we now think he is only providing us with a cert of completion as he is looking for payment!! We hired a surveyor to look at the build, he also has same concerns as us & the extension is by no means finished.

My question is What is the main difference between cert of compliance and cert of completion? do we need either or both? Im thinking down the road if we want to sell the house. How can Arch Tech give Cert of Compliance if he wasn't inspecting the job properly. Can we get someone else to give us the cert of compliance or does it have to be the Arch Tech that "oversaw" the job?

any advice welcome
tearing my hair out at this stage!
Hogg

How can an arch tech ( a drafts person) give a cert of compliance? For insurance purposes this must be from an architect or structural engineer with liability insurance.

Sorry to say but no architect or engineer I know will give you a cert for work that is not up to the building regulations especially if it is not structurally sound. Neither would they sign off on a project in which they had no involvement with hthe substructure or build process.

Get the surveyor to do a full report, give it to the tech & builder, give them a deadline to rectify the problems (at their expense), get the professional to sign off on the stages. If they wont do this, claim off their insurances for faulty product & services and get the extension done correctly.

Back