Walk in wardrobe storage

Abbica

hi, I was wondering could someone give me some advice on wardrobe storage, we are about to move in and have black bag fulls of clothes, shoes, ties and belts to unpack. We have a walk in wardrobe but at the moment it is just a 4x4 room, no shelves or anything. We are broke, and can't afford to spend a fortune on these shelving ideas which are great. I am looking for a quick fix solution for the time being which will do us until we can afford proper shelving. Can anyone recommend cheap shirt rails or something along those lines or even poles that screw into either side of wall (would this support the weight of a lot of clothes) or going to the local DIY and buying wood for the shoe racks (never used a drill in my life by the way), but sure I could learn pretty quickly. Anything at all that would do us for now for hanging the shirts, folding away jumpers etc.?

you can get those fold down plastic boxes in Dunnes or some other outlets they are very cheap and intended for taking home groceries but you can stack them and they take lots of jumpers /socks etc.For hanging a metal pole for hanging curtains can be put up easily and that should take lots of shirts get them in Woodies/B&Q etc

In the same situation ourselves and got temporary clothes hangers from Argos, lots of very cheap solutions there

BTW consider looking at IKEA walk-in wardrobe solutions, we are looking at getting or walk-in kitted out there for about 400e vs. 1-2 grand elsewhere, looks good too.

Thanks, I suppose u can't beat argos for the best deals, l will just get a few rails for the clothes to hang off, went on their website there, some are only €15 each and then just buy some storage shelving x 2, will do us for now. Go to ikea when it hits Dublin, when the novelty wears off that is! thanks for the advice.

Fruit crates are great for creating custom shelving. I have seen them used in quite a few trendy homes in cities in the U.S., and plan to use them myself in the near future. Here's a pic (loads more in Google images): http://bedzine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/crates-1.jpg

I am not sure if you are in Dublin, but you might find some at Smithfield fruit market - say it's for an art project?

Theres a place in Harolds Cross called "Storage Solutions" opposite the dog track dont have their no try11811 even their web site might give you some ideas

I also recommend to go with IKEA. You can get loads of ideas from their website, and the quality is excellent. The price would also be about half what you would pay anywhere else. And it looks fab too... I am so jealous of your walk-in wardrobe!

Great, thanks for all the advice. I suppose if I look on their website, I should be able to come up with some idea of a cheap solution that IKEA have in the interim, I wonder is Ikea open tomorrow for Paddy's day, handy to go up in the morning as the north isn't on a bank holiday so all at work so hence they would be open, say it is, is it? I just keep putting it off due to crowds and the last time me and my husband almost has a divorce after that place, I wouldn't mind but we hadn't left the car park to go in when the first row started!!

I am looking at getting a walk in wardrobe from Ikea too - great value - £400 - got a quote of over €1000 here for same.

I am living in cork tho and to travel to Belfast would be awful hassle - I know I cant buy the list of stuff i need on the internet but will ikea take a sale over the phone and payment over phone and then deliver??

:)

Regarding your walk in wardrobe could I suggest that you look at a website called rotorobe.com. This is a very clever robust product though not cheap. The distributor is in Limerick and there is a rep in Cork

Hi Jorus, I enquired with IKEA about same, but you have to go up, buy the stuff and then you can book delivery. They don't take orders over the net or phone. They have delivery charges on the IKEA Belfast page.

Fruit crates are great for creating custom shelving. I have seen them used in quite a few trendy homes in cities in the U.S., and plan to use them myself in the near future. Here's a pic (loads more in Google images): http://bedzine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/crates-1.jpg

I am not sure if you are in Dublin, but you might find some at Smithfield fruit market - say it's for an art project?
Beware of fruit crates - they can harbour woodworm and other insects.

Back