COBBLELOCK OR SANDSTONE for

tiger woods

Just lookin for views regarding the pro's&cons of both products.we have a good sized back garden and are looking at getting a patio done at the back of the garden and also breaking up an existing path at the back door and having the same finish.Our house is in a tudor style and is black and white.I know cobblelock is prone to weeds and sand stone is more expensive,also the contractor whom we got a quote of gets his supplies from outhuse in santry,is it normally cobblelock for driveways and sandstone for patios???

Hi Tiger
Have spent the last few weeks looking at different options myself as I going to be starting on similar work myself in the next couple of months. For me cobblelock was never in the running as I felt it was much more suited to driveways and did not feel it would look well for the patio. Sandstone looks great and there is a hugh variety of colours out there but it is one of the most porous natural stones and can be prone to algae growth especially in shaded areas. Have you considered limestone or granite? I know they are more expensive but can look fab and I think would suit the style and colour scheme of your house. I am going for a golden granite as the patio area will be directly outside my dining room's french doors and I want the warmth of the colour

I would stay clear of cobblelock. We put it down in our last house, we're putting Sandstone down now. As you say, problem with cobblelock is if you have any weeds growing through (should not happen if it is laid properly), they'll be all over the place as the units are smaller. it'll break your heart! Choose big flags whichever way you go.

Re sandstone, some are more porous than others, a half decent water gun will spray any moss or discolouration with ease.

Hi Tiger,
Yeah, imo the look of slabs for Patio's is just more appealing and better suited for general use as you're better with a flat surface without any indentations. As a matter of interest as I'm thinking of having similar work done this summer what kind of quotes are you receiving?
Thanks

We've been quoted €16 per m2 to lay cobblestone and prices from Tobermore to supply range from €20-€30 per m2 (incl VAT & Del)

Back