Is this quote a bit too good to be true?

deedee80

Just seems a bit too reasonable to me and I'm suspicious for some reason!

Looking to get solid wall knocked between kitchen and dining room and rsj put in, two other doors taken out and the area where the door frame is re plastered, 6 down lighter put in and an extra radiator.

Cost (excluding radiator) 1850 plus vat.

Does this sound right?!

Depends on many factors, such as size of RSJ is it new or second hand? How big an area of wall is going to be removed. Does the person carrying out work know what he is doing, eg: bearing pads for beam to rest on, temporary proping etc. Are they going to take rubble off site? deedee, best advice is follow up on previous "genuine" happy customers and trust your own instinct!

Is that 1.850 ?
Is that for labour only?
would you pay for RSJ,Plaster, downlighters .

If labour-only it sounds pretty ok. As Eng1 said, make sure he knows what he's doing. If the wall is load-bearing it needs to be done properly or you could have serious problems.

I asked what it includes and he said everything bar the new radiator, at 1,850.00 plus vat. I am awaiting a few more quotes as I don't know these guys from Adam and were I to go with them would want to be contacting a few of their referees. My kitchen is pretty bog standard length of a 3bed semi so the rsj would be for that and the plastering around the door would be a very small area. They quoted to put in down lighters but I don't want them to lift the floor above so it will be a case of cutting out holes and then re plastering. The also quoted for putting in a new ceiling of plasterboard with the downlighters and the quote for this was 2500.00 plus vat. I know that my friends mam got this job done in her house and paid 6k two years ago but I do feel that price was the dearer end of the scale. A lot of the neighbours on the road have done the same in their houses as the kitchens are very narrow and a few of them did the work themselves as they felt they could. The houses are still standing but obviously I won't be going down this route. Its not a big job though.

Materials for this job would be fairly cheap. I'ts a while since I bought an RSJ but steel in general has come down significantly. Plasterboard, skim, etc. are all fairly inexpensive items. Are they going to wire the downlighters aswell? If they are not electricians, don't let them for myriad reasons.

Taking down internal walls isn't something you would let any joe soap off on his own to do.

The right man will have it down in no time and replastered before you know it.

The wrong man will hae half your house down before you know it.

Make sure the successful applicant has a budget in for at least half a dozen acros.

Back