Land purchase : How does one find the owner?

silvamuppet

Hi

We have a strip of land beside our house that we'd be interesting in purchasing. As is land is useless as anything other than an extended garden for the end of row house (i.e. us) as services run underneath it etc.

Anyway, when i inquired with the council they sent out a form and i would have to apply for the land with a €250 non refundable fee. One of the things they do (according to this form) was check the ownership of the land to see if they owned it and were able to sell it. So i nipped into the land registry office to check who might own the land and it turns out the original developer has rights to it, so contact with the council is pointless.

Best bet then would be to try and approach the developer and maybe come to an arrangement (if possible).
Anyway, I'm wondering how one might go about finding said developer. I have the company name that the land registry have as owner to the land but a google of that returns pretty much nothing . In fact further to that I've gotten search hits on the main address X House, in Y town in Z County. So it looks like this developer has created a new company any time they've done a new estate or something like that?
Short of actually traveling to this place and knocking on doors and hoping for the best is there any more sure way of finding this info out and contacting the person in question??

All i want to do is get in touch with him/her/them to see if they'd be interesting in parting with the land , for a reasonable fee.

Cheers

SM

You could always just knock the wall and consider it yours. 12 years later apply for adverse posession ("squatters rights").

You could always just knock the wall and consider it yours. 12 years later apply for adverse posession ("squatters rights").

:)

That would be a bit of a fast one!
I expect it would work in fairness as i doubt the original developer even realises they own the land. Still though, i'd like to go down the a standard we buy the land from a happy seller route and get it re registered in our name , all above board etc.

Also, were we to annex this bit of land it would probably raise a few eyebrows locally and there is bound to be someone who'd get the hump and try to do something about it.

Also, were we to annex this bit of land it would probably raise a few eyebrows locally and there is bound to be someone who'd get the hump and try to do something about it.
If it's only a small strip, they might not even notice. And if they do, sure it's better you use it than rats, or junkies.

Anyway what can they do about it? Track down the owner? Sure then they'll have done you a favour, and you can proceed as you're hoping to now. That way you get use of the land in the meantime, while you're looking for him.

You can do a company search at cro.ie if its a limited company and you should find the address of the registered office or home address of of a director to write to.

cro.ie?? Nice one. Wasn't aware of that site!

The crowd i'm looking for have appeared using their search tool.
Thanks for that!

Back