How to Lay Solid Wooden Floors??

kilbird

What is the best way to lay solid wooden floors on a concrete floor?I have bought Solid Oak Floors and my builder is proposing to float them on foam on the concrete floor.I thought they would be better off either gluing them or laying lats and then nailing them to the lats???
Can someone advise me please as some of the stuff he has tried to get away with has been comical!!!
Thanks

Kilbird,

I have 3 solid wooden floors at home that have all been floated. Just remind your builder to make sure the floor is level - may need some self levelling compound to fill in any hollow - and that he includes a waterproof layer as well as the foam between floor and concrete.

Jon

I have solid oak floors in my house, which were glued to the concrete. No problems at all 4 years later. Important to let planks sit in house for at least 7-10 days to prevent warping etc.

Quite a few threads on this already. Have a read of the NOFMA [broken link removed] on installing hardwood floors, has all you need to know.
Leo

I did my own Solid oak floors chief and they were surprisingly easy to do. On top of the concrete floor I laid a waterproof layer ... in my case builders film ... then a layer of foam ... Then I just glued the tongue and groove of each piece of flooring which were random lengths .... Made sure to leave a gap around the edge of the floor for expansion. Result ... Great looking floating floor with no issues 1 year on.

Back