Is this a good deal?

Have just found out through a third party that the car was crashed 6 months ago with over €10k worth of damage, and also that the mileage is significantly higher. Must thank ye all for making me look into this a little more. Last problem now is to recover the €200 deposit. Should I ring him and tell him I know, and that unless he refunds it, I will contact carzone and the guards and he will never sell it?

legally he nees to tell any buyer that the car wa crashed, if they ask iirc
as for the deposit, its technically a contract and he can keep it as he can claim he held off on other buyers to give it to you, but imo you should chance your arm with the carzone and guards threat and hopefully he will give it back.

glad you found out before it was too late. how did you find out btw, was it cartell?

...as for the deposit, its technically a contract and he can keep it as he can claim he held off on other buyers to give it to you, ...
The car is not "as described", therefore OP is entitled to deposit refunded.

Alternatively, one or more of my local hurling clubs might need to meet up in a car-park near a silver '06 Passat for strategic discussions....

No didnt do cartell, as I did a search here on AAM and alot of posters advised against using them. Used motorcheck and everything came up fine. I know a guard who searched their database - he found out it was crashed. Then I rang Volkswagen Ireland with the reg no. to find out where it was sold as a new car. Rang the dealer and he said the mileage was 'significantly higher'. I said 'so your saying you serviced that car at a higher mileage'. He said 'well thats confidential, but use your imagination'
That was good enough for me. E mailed motorcheck looking for a refund too as none of this came up on their report.

No didnt do cartell, as I did a search here on AAM and alot of posters advised against using them. Used motorcheck and everything came up fine. I know a guard who searched their database - he found out it was crashed. Then I rang Volkswagen Ireland with the reg no. to find out where it was sold as a new car. Rang the dealer and he said the mileage was 'significantly higher'. I said 'so your saying you serviced that car at a higher mileage'. He said 'well thats confidential, but use your imagination'
That was good enough for me. E mailed motorcheck looking for a refund too as none of this came up on their report.

good stuff!

bullet dodged and all that. just goes to show even if the main dealer services it then it might not show up on the reg checks!

You were very fortunate to have gotten away with this slookie.

I'd ask to meet the seller, confront him with the evidence, and ask for your deposit back. I'd also be very very unhappy with Motorcheck - what's the point in using them if they can't i.d. a badly crashed and clocked car?

What an interesting thread.
Is there any way of making it a 'sticky'?
Very useful advise here about how to avoid buying a suspect car

Nicola

It's not that difficult NicolaM.

Start by looking at the car itself. Check thoroughly and test drive. After that look at the paperwork. A full service history helps greatly. Then negotiate price (subject to a HPI or equiv.).

In general if a car looks too good to be true, it is.

It's not that difficult NicolaM.

Start by looking at the car itself. Check thoroughly and test drive. After that look at the paperwork. A full service history helps greatly. Then negotiate price (subject to a HPI or equiv.).

In general if a car looks too good to be true, it is.

I wouldn't fully agree that its not that difficult.. The percentages of bogey cars in these magazines is huge, unbelievable in fact! Just ask any garda how many calls his station gets about this sort of thing!

There are so many tricks it's unreal and the amount of people who get conned is huge and most dont even know they've been done..

Except slookie threw a thread up here, he'd have been done for 10 grand..
I wish we were all wrong about the car and slookie got a bargain but alas your right in you're last line. If it's too good to be true, it is.

Well he obviously isnt taking slookie's deposit too seriously, i emailed him last night and he replied asking me to ring him to arrange viewing!!

Oh stay away from him. Motorcheck were very concerned and asken me to ring them. I did and he apologised profusely saying that because of the data protection act they can't get all information. He gave me a full refund and also a free check on another car! Then I rang the guy and told him I wouldn be down to collect the car as it had been crashed. He went all defensive asking when and where, and then said 'Oh my god, I'm Shocked' - as if he never knew. Argued with him over deposit, but he said that he wouldn refund it. Couldn be arsed driving down and up to Waterford anyway, and at least I hadn't it bought. Then i rang Carzone and told them. They said he has a number of cars advertised, but they would start by removing them and then decide a further course of action. told them to keep me posted. He also has a 07 Passat petrol for €12500 and a diesel one for €13000. So KEEP AWAY!!!!!!

Did he say he would or wouldnt refund it? i'd be after the deposit back if i were you, he tried to stitch you for 10k, ya caught him, and you are giving him 200 euro to keep?

Argued with him over deposit, but he said that he wouldn refund it. Couldn be arsed driving down and up to Waterford anyway, and at least I hadn't it bought.

No matter how far you live from him, it won't cost you 200 euro in petrol to get to Waterford and back. Stubborn it may seem, but I would much rather have that money in carbon dioxide than to have it sitting in his pocket. No way would I be leaving him have my money.

Good news, had to get the guards to ring him, put the ****s up him. Took him about 20 minutes to give in, and eventually got it back. Told him to transfer it into my account.

Yes I did because I wasn goin down to waterford to meet him to collect it. And yes it will show up...I can guarantee it. He can't acess any other information with my bank account number. By the way, some poor dude bought the car last night.

Wow is all I can say! Great read, and delighted you didn't get shafted.

I think cars are almost as dodgy as buying a horse...now that's an industry with cowboys!

Back