Home Insurance claim effect on future premium

joanmul

We have just had a house burglary this week, along with two of our neighbours. In our case everything that was gold was taken. Everything had a personal value so can't be replaced. Has anybody had the experience and claimed on their house insurance and found subsequently their premiums were hiked. There is a limit of 2000e on single items on our policy. I have no receipts and a lot of things were from over 40 years ago. Would an insurance company take my word for it if I presented them with a list. I'm still finding that something else is gone but I have so far reckoned that between 10,000e and 12,000e in value is probably gone into the melting pot. While I know that we are paying insurance for a purpose I don't want to be hammered in the future just for the sake of getting a few bob that won't replace anything that was lost.

The value you get from your insurance company will be done to your ability to substantiate the claim. If you have receipts, photos, boxes, booklets etc you will be best placed for the claim. If you cant supply any of the above you could be looking at 30/40 % of the value. You will also have an excess ontop of that. Generally any claim over 1000 is worth while as the effect on premium will not be as great as what you get. You will lose your no claims bonus and it will take you 5 years to get it back to the same level but it will be decreasing every year so the effect is less as the years go by.

The value you get from your insurance company will be done to your ability to substantiate the claim. If you have receipts, photos, boxes, booklets etc you will be best placed for the claim. If you cant supply any of the above you could be looking at 30/40 % of the value. You will also have an excess ontop of that. Generally any claim over 1000 is worth while as the effect on premium will not be as great as what you get. You will lose your no claims bonus and it will take you 5 years to get it back to the same level but it will be decreasing every year so the effect is less as the years go by.

Thanks for that. I don't have receipts but I do have a couple of boxes. I discovered that I would lose the no claims bonus but that would be the only penalty.

Back