% of revenue as salary

indebtedgal

Is there a benchmark regarding the percentage of revenue an employee is responsible for that should be that persons salary. ??

Not sure what you mean by the question.

In some professions, such as accountancy, firms would have their own guidelines. For example, a person at qualified audit senior level would get paid €40k and would have chargeable fees of €200k.

But it would vary from profession to profession and from firm to firm.

Brendan

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Basically I am repsonsible for circa 600K of revenue brought into the company annually, and I would like to get my salary reviewed based on this. I started at a much more junior level but I have taken on a lot more responsibility but on the same salary, so as they say I am going to chance my arm with asking for a pay rise.

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Basically I am repsonsible for circa 600K of revenue brought into the company annually, and I would like to get my salary reviewed based on this. I started at a much more junior level but I have taken on a lot more responsibility but on the same salary, so as they say I am going to chance my arm with asking for a pay rise.

In that case, I would say no, there is no benchmark across industries.

You would need to look for examples specific to your industry and your job.

There is no way of cross referencing an accountant who does 600K worth of work for an accountancy firm with a sales executive who sells 600K of widgets to a Project Manager who manages a 600K IT project.

For each of these examples, the costs to the company and the profit is different, and the importance of the quality of the person doing the job varies.

For the PM, the value of the PM to the company is gauged by "How much difference does quality of the work done by the Project manager contribute to the profit of the project and the chances of repeat work from the customer ". This value is specific to the job, and the company and would not form any sort of benchmark for a different job.

Last edited:
You should benchmark yourself against industry salary surveys.

Also, as it seems you are good at your job would you consider starting your own company. Basically thats one way of ensuring you control what your earn from a successful company.

Do you actually generate 600k per annum turnover for the company, or simply count the money (obviously oversimplified, i mean do all the accountancy stuff).
If it was me an an accountant working for me asked for a pay rise for dealing with a larger amount of money (i.e a %) i would be pretty peed off.

... I am repsonsible for circa 600K of revenue brought into the company annually........

If that means that you found the customer and made the sale then it is possibly commission that you should be looking for as opposed to a pay rise. As pointed out there are probably 'norms' for your industry and role.

Back