TRS when married

Polydactyl

So I have entered year 8 of my 2007 Mortgage so my TRS has dropped to 3000 x 30% ie 75 euro a month. I got married last year however and never got around to informing the revenue as we are both PAYE workers and it woudl not have made much difference.

My interest never exceeded my single persons cap in the last year so being married would not have made any difference to TRS but it will now with the new 3000 cap i.e. 6000 instead.

However I was just wondering as the TRS helpline could not tell me are there any disadvantages of registering as married in terms of potential future mortgages as my husband has never had a mortgage i.e. would be a first time buyer...could claiming the TRS benefit affect this in the future?

If we are registered as married even though his name is not on the mortgage will that affect him applying for a mortgage on his own in the future if he was in the position to do so financially?

If you are married to someone who has a mortgage and you are not a signee on the mortgage would you be considered a first time buyer or will your spouses mortgage affect this?

Thanks for any help!!!

As his name is not on the mortgage there is no need, or benefit to, him registering for TRS, he won't be entitled to it as he's not liable for the mortgage or the interest.

In terms of future mortgages /TRS, as it stands at the moment, if you both had a joint mortgage in the future, he could avail of the TRS at the higher first time buyer rate and yours would be calculated at the lower rate. One of you not being a first time buyer doesn't put you both out of the first time buyer rate, they are calculated individually.

Thanks hippy1975. I am still confused however as the two people I spoke to in TRS today told me that there was no need for him to be on the mortgage at all to claim the tax benefit.

Hhhhmmmm......strange, I thought you had to be a 'borrower' I.e. named on the mortgage in order to claim the relief, that's how we had to do it when we lived in apt that my husband had bought in his own name.
If they'll. grant it to him and you want to use his first time buyer status now for this, you're not planning on moving, then he will get the first time buyer rate, we have that on our current mortgage, which is in joint names, but because my husband had a property before he doesn't get the first time buyer rate but I do, the relief is calculated separately for each of us and paid to one account

Back