ESB Bill unpaid by previous owner

johnpdolan

I have just bought a property and i have found out that the last ESB bill is unpaid by last owner. Who is liable for this, will the ESB write off this debt, will they chase me for it and what should i do

Did your solicitor not check that all untilites were fully paid up? I sold a house last year (and one the year before) and in both cases the buyer's solicitors looked for this.

Did your solicitor not check that all untilites were fully paid up? I sold a house last year (and one the year before) and in both cases the buyer's solicitors looked for this.

no they did not check this out, will this be an issue???

Well it would have avoided this problem for you. Have you been in touch yet with the provider? You should give them a meter reading as at the date you have taken possession of the house. Are there any other unpaid untilities? Gas, phone, LPT or househould charge? Bins?

You give the ESB the reading from when you moved in and they will bill you from that reading. It's up to the E.S.B.to chase him or not.

I did this with a house I bought recently and there was no bother with it.

BUT your solicitor should have ensured that this was sorted by agreeing a reading day/date with the vendor's solicitor.

Regardless ... the E.S.B. are reasonable and will bill you from your first reading.

Had the same issue lately. Bought an apartment that was vacant for 6 months. Estate agent gave me the correct meter reading but the wrong MRPN. Electric Ireland told me they wouldnt connect me as there was an outstanding bill. After 3 calls to them they put in my name and i gave them the estate agents name to bill. If you have previous owners name and address give it to them and they will send them the bill

I don't think it's the job of the solicitor to go chasing utility bills. It's nothing to do with title. Different matter for bills that run with the property, ie rates, NPPR, local property tax etc.

The OP is not liable for the bill, but they could help the rest of us in keeping electrcity costs down by suppling the ESB with the address and phone number of the previous owner. I've done this when my tenant's leave and ESB cannot find them. People not paying their bills only creates hassle for honest payers. In this case it might just be an oversight.

Back