How much will I save if I overpay my mortgage?

orka

A friend is forever telling me that over-paying your mortgage early is much more beneficial than later in the life of the mortgage. ... ls it really that simple? Over-pay now rather than later and you'll wipe Years off your mortgage???? Really?
In assessing whether to pay down some extra money off your mortgage, you are basically deciding whether or not to invest money for a very long term to earn 5% (or whatever your mortgage rate is) per annum net of tax on that money. And that’s it. There is no magic money, there’s no leveraging of your investment to get a 5x, 10x, 20x return. Your rate of return doesn’t increase if you make the paydown sooner – it’s still 5% per annum – but obviously, the longer you 'invest', the greater your return in pure € terms. 5% pa net of tax is a very solid return on your savings but it’s not a spectacular, once-in-a-lifetime return worth eating porridge and baked beans for years on end to achieve.

If you want a long-term ‘lock away my money so I can’t spend it’ investment (which is what paying down your mortgage is), you might be better investing in a pension if you are a higher rate tax payer and can find a low-cost pension. You get tax-relief on the way in, returns compound tax-free within the fund and you can get 25% of your fund tax-free at retirement. Depends on your age and mortgage term but it's probably not much longer-term an investment than paying down the mortgage.

orka

I have moved this excellent reply from another thread, as it's a very commonly asked question and the thinking about it very fuzzy. Could you develop the point further and I will make it a Key Post.

Thanks

Back