Cash-rich in 2014; 2015 uncertain - if we overpay now/can we underpay later?

Setanta12

Ok, my title wasn't great.

In a nnutshell a few years ago, there were these current accounts which rolled up into your mortgage account - resulting in lower mortgage interest in the end.

I will have more cash in 2014, than in 2015 - should I save, or should I overpay and offset these early repayments against later mortgage requests? (Am with UB)

Do you actually have one of the offset/current account mortgage products?

No, pretty sure the usual standard mortgage account. But was hoping UB might be interested in cash now and taking a punt that my good-fortune could continue ...

(I sound hopelessly naive, don't I? hehehehe)

You do a bit :)

I don't think they will care about money now, if you intend overpaying a standard mortgage with the hope of underpaying later on then you need to make sure the extra funds are just remaining as a credit on your account that you can withdraw again which is in effect what you will be doing if you are using the surplus to fund future payments due. If they are permanently put against the mortgage you may be unable to access them again leaving you committed to continuing full repayments.

If you actually had one of the offset mortgages it would be much easier.

I agree with wbbs. You need to make sure that the extra money is sitting as a "credit" in your mortgage account. Make sure that it is not "capitalised". Some years back I dealt with a mortgage company that let all of the extra monies paid in to the mortgage sit there on the account and once a year they would then apply these credits against the capital. I remember asking for my credit build up to be returned to me and this was done no problem.

Back