What to do in Seattle, Washington (and Surrounding Areas)

FrCrilly

Hi All,

I'm planning a family trip to Seattle, Washington for later this year. I'm looking for tourism stuff to do for both the family (fully grown, no children) and myself as an individual. I'm thinking very much along the lines of scenery and the great outdoors but am also open to other areas (eg historic).

If anyone has been in Seattle or it's surrounding areas on holiday, I'd appreciate details of your experience (eg what would you recommend and what would you avoid etc etc).

Thanks in Advance for all responses.

Hi FrCrilly,

You should try searching the forum; you'll find lots of useful posts like this one. We went there last year, but with 5 kids in tow, whereas you'll probably be a lot freer to move around and enjoy what the area has to offer, which is lots! I'll post back some useful links later, if I can find them on the home PC...

I lived in Seattle for 4 years - great city to visit and definitely not your typical tourist destination! Time of year has a big impact on what you do, as the weather can really limit/enhance your options.

If you're there anytime but winter, I would highly recommend a trip out the San Juan Islands - whale watching, sea kayaking, relaxed island living. You can take a ferry from Bellingham to San Juans, or better yet a sea plane from Lake Union in Seattle!! If you don't have time to get all the way out to the San Juans, at least take a ferry from city centre to Bainbridge Island - maybe consider staying overnight there.

If you're there in winter, there is decent skiing only an hour outside Seattle (Snoquamie Pass or Mount Stevens are close small ski resorts - they even have night skiing!). There are bigger resorts a bit further out - Crystal Mountain is one that comes to mind. Easy enough to rent ski/snowboard equipment at the mountains.

Seattle city centre is very small and gets really quiet after 6pm, so it's worth a visit, but not for more than a day. Pike Place Market is a must see. Pioneer Square is the place to go for nightlife. Try to catch a baseball game at the new stadium near Pioneer Square for a real slice of Americana. The Seattle Centre - home of the world's fair and iconic space needle are not too far from city centre and worth a half day to go up the space needle, visit the Experience Music Project (music museum created by Paul Allen), catch a Sonics basketball game (definitely an amazing atmosphere), and maybe the Pacific Science Center / IMAX movie if you were into that sort of thing.

A must do - take a boat ride from Lake Union (near downtown seattle) to Lake Washington - really great to see a working lake (complete with sea plane "runway" and to go past the exclusive waterfront property on Lake Washington (right past Bill Gates' pad)

For a taste of where the locals hang out, Check out the Greenlake area for a few hours - just south of the city - really great spot for a walk around the lake to see how the locals live. Also not too far from there, the campus of University of Washington is pretty gorgeous and worth a walk around.

If you are looking for guaranteed sunshine (assuming you're not going in winter), I would highly recommend looking into a wine tasting tour on the eastern side of washington state for a day. It is a complete contrast from the Seattle area - think semi-arid, complete with rolling tumbleweeds and cowboys! It's becoming quite the wine growing region because of the good weather. I love the heat so I'm a big fan of eastern washington, but some people prefer the greeness of Seattle.

Think that about covers it! Feel free to PM me if you want more details about anything. Delighted to hear of someone willing to make that HUGE journey all the way across the US!!! Seattle hardly ever gets Irish visitors compared to the rest of the country!

I would like to second all CAA's suggestions. Seattle is a fantastic city and San Juan Islands and the East Washington state are a must.

If you're into shopping, don't forget Bellevue Plaza just outside of Seattle.

Ah you make me jealous !

Seattle what a great city. You have to do this in Seattle - http://www.undergroundtour.com/ very interesting.

Have to agree with CAA Pike Place market is a great place, fascinating. Also worth a trip - - not the official website (couldn't find it) but it gives you a picture of the tower, we thought it gave far superior views than the www.spaceneedle.com which was dearer too at 16 dollars per adult, I think the Bank of America tower was 10 dollars.

One thing I regret not doing - http://www.futureofflight.org/

Good details here too - [broken link removed]

It's a wonderful place - Enjoy !

Definetly recommend a trip up to Mt St Helens as well. Pretty impressive scenery up there and you can see the smoke coming up out of the mo9untain some days.

Also, a trip up to Vancouver for a day is a nice option. Lovely city and surrounds.

The Beoing factory tour is good, its not far from Seattle 25 miles,
its in Everett, not at weekends.
It is the largest building in the world by volume,
the make the 747,767,777,787
[broken link removed]

Back