Temporary work contract info

Audi_Driver

Hi folks,

I have now been employed by my current employer for over a year now. I was 'taken on', on temporary contract, however my contract is an open ended contract i.e. no end date.

Presently at work, it is very busy and there is no sign of my employer to terminate my contract.

But as I know, my contract is temporary and my day will come(I think), but would I stand a chance of taking a case against my employer if they decide to terminate my contract and be fully reinstated ? Based on the fact I have been employed continuously for over 12 months now.

Or is it possible to have an open ended contract for life?

Thanks for any info, as I am finding very annoying as I have been employed this long in my job and the thoughts of becoming unemployed again are horrible.

Thanks.

Might be worthwhile to give these people a call and check out your rights with them [broken link removed]

There is no right to an open contract for life but as you have more than 12 months service then you would be entitled to access the unfair dismissal legislation if you employer were to dismiss you. Dismissal is automatically deemed unfair unless it fits into one of the fair grounds e.g competence, capability, conduct, redundancy or other substantial grounds. Citizen advice page also has some good information on your rights but advice from previous poster is best.

Thanks folks.

Not really looking to good for me so, but alas, I can only take it one day at a time.

I had a series of 6 month contracts, and the contracts all clearly stated that it was 6 months and they could let me go at the end.

I would agree with Sue Ellen about getting proper advice on the exact wording of your contract.

If they have a downturn in business or don't need you any more, they can make you redundant. If you have less than 2 years service, you are not entitled to statutory redundancy.

There is some relevant information here

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...ent_and_redundancy/redundancy/redundancy.html

Back