Foxford Court, Ballyowen Lane in Lucan (good place for a first time buyer?)

G

-Gaz-

Hello all,
Please forgive me if I am posting on the wrong forum, as I have literally only registered 5 minutes ago so I could post. To cut a long story short, I am a first time buyer and I wish to purchase a two bedroom apartment. So far, two places that I have viewed have really caught my interest, one is in Rosse Court in Lucan and the other is in Foxford Court, Ballyowen Lane, also in Lucan. Could anyone give me some information about both areas? I would really appreciate it. I have not as of yet heard anything bad about Rosse Court, however some things that I have heard about Foxford Court have raised some concerns (which I would be most disheartened about if they turned out to be true, as I really like the apartment for sale in there):

1. I have been told that there is a settled traveller estate not far from where I was looking, is this true? (And I do NOT wish to cause offence to any community or individual, but it is something that I would like clarified).

2. I have also been told that the nearby Ballyowen Park has a problem with drugs.

If anyone can clarify this for me or give me any further information I would be most grateful. I guess the bottom line is: Would YOU live in Foxford Court, Ballyowen Lane?

Many thanks

Gaz

Re: Foxford Court, Ballyowen Lane (good place for a first time buyer?)

Yes, there is a settled traveller estate on Ballyowen Lane - if you drive down from the back of Ballyown Lane and look opposite Cluain Ri, it is fairly obvious.

I think Foxford Court is that apartment complex that blends in with the Penny Hill complex and shops from the back of the Penny Hill Shops there. They were vacant for ages for some reason. There is a walkway by it from Ballyowen Lane? If these are the apartments and I think they are, then, no, I would pick another area to be perfectly honest. Whats the point in having a nice apartment in a not so great location? You can always refurbish internally, but you cant change your outside surroundings or eople hanging around.

Also, Rosse Court, apartments themselves probably okish, but surrounding areas not great.

To be honest, I would prefer somewhere else to either of these areas, if I had anyway of a choice, and that is from someone who lived in these areas for over seven years.

As someone who lives in Lucan and is very happy there I would not advise you to buy in either of these estates, for much the same reasons as Mandac. To be honest, once you get up past the Penny Hill things aren't that great in my opinion.

You have been given very good advice there, especially with Ballyowen.

Many thanks for all your replies.
Mandac, they are the ones where the backs of them face directly out on to the main road where the 25A (I think) goes down, I think it's the Ballyowen Road.

Gaz I think its fair to say that even in todays market that apartment is cheap and there is a reason for that. I would advise that you park at the penny hill, then walk to these apartments and then further along up Ballyowen Lane. You will get a very good feel for the place that way.

Hello Deedee80,
I did exactly as you advised. We went for a drive around the area at night just to see what it was like (I would imagine that night time would give you a better feel of how rough an area is, if it is at all). It does seem like too good a deal for such a nice apartment. I didn't really notice anything to swing my opinion either way about the place while we were out there, it was fairly uneventful (although I suppose in reality it's never going to be as easy to tell what kind of an area you are in as in the films, with burning cars littered throughout the streets with muggers on every street corner). I did however ask a customer of mine who is an estate agent what he thought about buying in Foxford Court, he advised me against it for two reasons:

1. He said the area is quite rough

2. He also said that that side of the Ballyowen Road will soon be absorbed into the address of Clondalkin, and not Lucan, thereby reducing the price on the property further in the future.

I would be surprised if that would happen (absorbed into the address of Clondalkin), would think that is more likely to happen to the houses nearer Balgaddy (if it happens at all). Foxford Court is too far in. However, I would agree about the area not being great.

I had sent a PM as I did live nearby.

I actually live in these apartments at Foxford Court and to be quite honest I am horrified to see so many people have such negative comments about the area. Obviously everybody is entitled to their own opinion but I actually live here so I think I may have a more balanced view. I bought one of these apartments 4 years ago from new and I have to say that I have never had any problems regarding the area or ballyowen itself. When I bought I was not even aware that there was a traveller site nearby and even though I drive by the site on a daily basis I have never seen trouble or any type of anti social behaviour. The apartments themselves are very secure and I bought here because its such a a small complex. People keep themselves to themselves and the majority of the apartments are lived in my owner occupiers so they tend to look after the complex. Friends of mine also live in so called "nice " areas in lucan but they love coming up to my apartment because its so quiet... go figure. As far as there been a bad element around the lane, its just typical teenagers with nothing to do and they can be found in any part of lucan or dublin for that matter.In the fours years I have lived there only two apartments have gone up for sale so obviously people like their homes and the area.People are always quite quick to judge on area but there is good and bad everywhere.

I know this might be a little late but just wanted to add a few points as someone who lived in foxford court for about a year.

• I found the area fine, there was never any trouble and it was fairly quiet.
  • However my car was broken in to last year parked outside the apartment, this was the 3rd time a car from the apt I stayed in had been stolen/broken in to. I would think that is higher then the average breakins?
  • Location wise I think the development is well located.
  • I saw some of the apartments for sale and was surprised at how low they are being offered at even in this economic climate. One reason for this may be that the majority (all?) the apartments and duplexes were originally sold as affordable housing scheme. This may account for the lower price.
  • Also as the houses are owned under the affordable housing scheme the owners are subject to a clawback to the council whereby they have to pay back *% of the sale to the council. In this environment I would think that any owner wanting to sell such an apartment does not have a great incentive to sell for a huge amount just wanting to clear what they owe on the property, as if they don't make on the sale they won't owe the council anything, i.e. negative equity.

Hi ive been so meaning to post this, i also live on ballyowen lane just up from foxford apts bought the house four years ago, must say ive never looked back love the place, i have young children and never had any problems, it does my head in when you hear people putting areas down that they don't even live in, nowhere is perfect as for the halting site its a credit to them you wouldn't even no it was there.

Back