Daily labour cost how much ?

Can anyone advise roughly what i could expect to pay a casual labourer/construction worker for a day's work, cash in hand, for roof repair/general maintenance

forgive me for saying so, but a lot of peopleon this site talk an awful lot of rubbish when it comes to discussing the value of the self employed on a day basis. it takes a proper tradesman longer to qualify than a garda, a prison officer, as long as a teacher so forth, you get the drift, think of their wages, the trades has to pay his own holiday time, bank holidays,full prsi, pensions, health cover etc, commercial indsurance on his vehicle, public liability insurance, advertising, running costs on a van which are considerably more than a normal car, and for an added bonus just before or shortly after christmas you have to pay an accountant to tell you how much to give the government. i know alot of you guys and ladies are of course looking for a bargain but bear in mind the tradesman ends up with about half what you give him . AND you do not let a general worker or labourer near a roof. regardless of his capability , if you do you are the contractor, if he gets injured you may not have a roof over your head that needs fixing
JUST to clarify my response, the OP BUSYMUM, asked what she could EXPECT to pay NOT what she SHOULD PAY and she specified cash.I stand over the prices i gave. Not as someone who would seek to exploit a tradesman, as i am one myself, But just to show the dramatic fall in prices and what ineed tradesmen are prepared to work for now.And springtile i also did in my response add in a word of caution to the OP about paying somebody in cash.

davyjones, five years ago, there are now 2 million unemployed as of today. wages have been cut right through the construction sector and thats if you are lucky enough to have work. my husband is a carpenter and it is very difficult competing with tradesmen from other countries. i run my own commercial cleaning and gardening company and the management companies i work for are trying to cut costs because they are struggling to collect in the service charges on blocks of flats.
yea sure, 5 years ago we were booming just like Ireland so of course most people were earning good money but that was 5 years ago not now.
There is a big difference ! - to quote SLF.

davyjones, five years ago, there are now 2 million unemployed as of today. wages have been cut right through the construction sector and thats if you are lucky enough to have work. my husband is a carpenter and it is very difficult competing with tradesmen from other countries. i run my own commercial cleaning and gardening company and the management companies i work for are trying to cut costs because they are struggling to collect in the service charges on blocks of flats.
yea sure, 5 years ago we were booming just like Ireland so of course most people were earning good money but that was 5 years ago not now.
There is a big difference ! - to quote SLF.

So to clarify, you are not giving prices or advice?
You are just saying we should drop our prices, is that all you have to add to this thread?

Just to remind you the OP asked

Can anyone advise roughly what i could expect to pay a casual labourer/construction worker for a day's work, cash in hand, for roof repair/general maintenance

Considering rates of pay and costs of supplies and materials are different in the UK and Ireland and since Busymum is here in Ireland and you are in the UK how can you give a proper answer to the question?

wow, dont shoot the messenger here folks, my remarks were meant to be informatory not deragatory. think i opened up a can of worms. perhaps no harm. SLF certainly did not mean to offend, i think your post just happened to be before mine. your remarks are certainly accurate. anybody hear with any affiliation to trades know exactly what i mean, but there are a lot that dont. by cash in hand, good plasters working for 120 a day, labourers up fixing roofs all helps the black economy to flourish and activates the law of diminishing returns

forgive me for saying so, but a lot of peopleon this site talk an awful lot of rubbish when it comes to discussing the value of the self employed on a day basis.

Forgive me for saying it, but I think alot of self employed trades people have what I would describe as a very cavalier attitude to paying tax or running a business. I have had cause to deal with 7 trades people / suppliers in the last 6 months, all of whom's faces fell when I produced a cheque book to pay them.

Just to clarify what I am talking about here - these are people supplying goods and or services, advertising as limited companies in the local press, a price is discussed and agreed on the phone and when the product or service has been delivered I produce a cheque book to pay - not once have I been asked to write the name of the limited company on the checque and most mumble something about oh well there will be VAT to add etc.

I should point out for the record that I own and run a limited company, so I have some idea of what a legitimate business needs to produce in terms of paperwork for each transaction.

I would love to deal with trades people and suppliers who deal above board, and deliver what was agreed on time and at the agreed price, but I don't expect to have to ask for it as a special favour.

To answer the OP's question, for general odds and sods around the house I would expect to pay the average industrial wage which I calculate as follows:
average industrial wage: 35,400
20% overhead for being self employed etc. 7080
exect to work 40 weeks per year (200 days) so say rate: €212
If the tradesman in question is Vat registered you will have to pay a further 13.5% VAT on top, but should only do so if you get a proper vat invoice.
Obviously for a qualified roofer I would expect to pay a bit more.

I don't mean to offend anyone by the above, I am sure there are plenty of honest tradesmen to be had, but my experience has not been great!

Gtec

Gtec

wow, dont shoot the messenger here folks, my remarks were meant to be informatory not deragatory. think i opened up a can of worms. perhaps no harm. SLF certainly did not mean to offend, i think your post just happened to be before mine. your remarks are certainly accurate. anybody hear with any affiliation to trades know exactly what i mean, but there are a lot that dont. by cash in hand, good plasters working for 120 a day, labourers up fixing roofs all helps the black economy to flourish and activates the law of diminishing returns

So I'm not talking rubbish then (my wife would probably disagree:D).

No fear skingtile you did not offend me.

Speaking for myself, not that I need one but if I got a hold of a good plasterer (don't send me PMs) I'd happily pay them €300 a day.

I've seen good plasterers and I've seen woeful ones and good ones are worth their weight in gold.

€120 a day just doesn't cover the skill level

Gtec certainly no rubbish there,i'll take a checgue from you any time and give you a big:)

20% overhead for being self employed etc.

20% for overheads is not enough.

I spoke to a man (an accountant) about what I should be charging for my time since I'm self employed.

Well if I employed someone I should be charging 2 1/2 times his wage, so using your figures if I pay pay him or her €177 per day I should be charging at least €442.5 for their time on site.

Now I don't charge those kind of prices (couldn't get them either:() but you get what I'm trying to say.

I'm also happy to take a cheque from you too:D

like i said at the start,you should expect to pay between €150 and €250 per day. any builders union will tell you the same price. i know this because thats what i have had to pay. A lot of people have paid me in cash but it still makes no difference,I still have to show the money and I do lodge it into the bank. I was probably foolish to do this because even tho I've given the tax man a lot of money in the last 9 years I've been self employed I'm only entitled to a tiny sum of money from the dole. It is probably understandable therefore that trades men don't like to see a cheque coming their way. I'll take a cheque no problem btw.

My profesional rate is €250 per day too which I think is fa fair price for my work. I have spent a lot of time fine tuning my skills ad i think it reflects my work and good value for money and my clients have been more than happy to pay that.

Thank god all these rates are coming down. some sense coming back. At least the tradesmen are doing just that again.

and the government is only encouraging the black "cash in hand" market with its complete misuse of the money and its increasing taxes as a result.

If we ignore all the guff posted up to now about union rates, trades and crafts people, recessions, taxes and so on, to answer your question, the going rate for "a casual labourer/construction worker" is in the order of €120 - €150 per day, cash in hand.

If we ignore all the guff posted up to now

While I appreciate that you are answering the OP's question, there is no need to insult legitimate trades/businesses that are trying to conduct their business honestly and contribute to the economy aswell as their own welfare in the face of increasing black market competition. Come run my business and see if its guff.

I also would have no problem accepting a cheque and have, on occasion, had to turn down jobs because the potential client wanted to pay cash and avoid the VAT element. My business couldn't afford to do this, nor can the economy as a whole.

If we ignore all the guff posted up to now about union rates, trades and crafts people, recessions, taxes and so on, to answer your question, the going rate for "a casual labourer/construction worker" is in the order of €120 - €150 per day, cash in hand.

Anybody stupid enough to let a casual labourer near a roof needs their head examined.

mathepac how can you refer to things like union rates, trades and crafts people, recessions, taxes as guff.

Anybody stupid enough to let a casual labourer near a roof needs their head examined....
Very possibly, but for small money, you takes your chances.:D
... mathepac how can you refer to things like union rates, trades and crafts people, recessions, taxes as guff.
They may have significance, relevance or even a place in some other thread in response to some other question; in the context of the simple question posed by OP its just auld guff, waffle, ráiméis, off-topic blather or whatever.

Very possibly, but for small money, you takes your chances.:D

You're right they do take their chances. But then the same people are coming on here complaining about what a **** service they got and this and that.

The op has got good answers here from professional people an was given very straight answers about how much to pay. There was no need for you to come on and post on this unless you're a trades person who is in the know.

its just auld guff, waffle, ráiméis, off-topic blather or whatever.

Yeah but we are the professionals and have to speak as we are the ones who end up fixing up the bad jobs or have to compete with people who are cheaper and do bad jobs.

We are the ones with experience and knowledge...not guff...so there:cool:

... The op has got good answers here from professional people an was given very straight answers about how much to pay...
That is your opinion which I don't share.
... There was no need for you to come on and post on this unless you're a trades person who is in the know.
I saw a need and I've never been made aware of a minimum professional qualification for posting in this or any other thread.

Yeah but we are the professionals and have to speak as we are the ones who end up fixing up the bad jobs or have to compete with people who are cheaper and do bad jobs.
I believe the harsh reality is that it's going to get a lot more difficult for tax paying tradesmen to compete with tradesmen who do not pay tax, and do the work for a great deal less money.
I would also question the relationship between quality of work and tax compliance.

I saw a need and I've never been made aware of a minimum professional qualification for posting in this or any other thread.

There is no min qualification for posting in any thread, personally I welcome all people who post as long as they are serious and not trolls I know of a couple who have been banned in the last while.:D

I don't know what you do for a living but I assume you work.

How would you feel if a whole load of people who know absolutely nothing about whats involved with your job started asking others questions about what you should be paid ie people who know nothing about what they are talking about either.

At the end of the day you are neither a tradesman nor a craftsman and know nothing of the costs involved with running our kind of business. Any comments from you regarding what we should be paid should be taken with a pinch of salt because you simply don't know.

I would also question the relationship between quality of work and tax compliance.

Good question and I don't have an answer for it bar that it is illegal to have cash (no tax, no receipt, no record) tranactions.

Back