Bad time to start pension?

The deadline to start a pension fund is Monday 17th November, to claim relief against 2007 income, right?

Is Monday too late or does it have to be done tomorrow?

Thanks

The deadline to start a pension fund is Monday 17th November, to claim relief against 2007 income, right?

Assuming you're filing and paying tax using www.ros.ie, that's correct.

Is Monday too late or does it have to be done tomorrow?

Application and cheque must be received by the pension company no later than Monday AND you have to elect to backdate your tax relief into 2007 by Monday.

Any advice on the type of pension I should go for:

Age 30, self employed, first pension contribution. Would like to be able to direct fund myself as much as possible and also have flexibility to change both type and provider if possible.

Lowest management and contribution as possible.

Hi,

Some would say this is a great time to start a pension as the unit values have come back so much. You are buying units that were as this value a few years ago or more! You have to think long term, 10 years from now this will be a blimp on a stock market history chart. I hope:)

Personally, I have increased my pension contributions.
Regards
Colm

Hardly a blimp - its been the most epochal time since 1929 - and that certainly wasn't regarded as a "blimp"

Any advice on the type of pension I should go for:

Age 30, self employed, first pension contribution. Would like to be able to direct fund myself as much as possible and also have flexibility to change both type and provider if possible.

Lowest management and contribution as possible.

yep, take out one to reduce your tax bill and ask for it to be put into a cash fund. you can switch to stocks/shares at a later point if you feel comfortable enough that you know what you're doing

Ok, a really big blimp.. I think 2001 was also the most epochal time since 1929.

In time, it will pass. Just as markets will not continually increase, they will not continually decrease.

Hardly a blimp - its been the most epochal time since 1929 - and that certainly wasn't regarded as a "blimp"

Back