"New" pump shower as part payment to install electric?

Caveat

Maybe sounds a bit cheeky but would a plumber go for this?

Basically, we mistakenly bought a Triton (model ??) pump shower - thought it was electric and realised it wasn't as soon as it had been installed.

It has never been used - not even once. So, what we need is an electric shower and to have it installed. I was hoping that the installer could take the pump shower off us as payment (or part payment) for installing the new electric?

Is it ridiculous to even put it to them or is it worth a try do you think?

Hi Caveat,

Who installed it?
How long left on warrenty?

You best bet is to sell privately through local paper, buy and sell, friends etc.

Plumbers will have no need for it and nothing beats money.

Thanks Davy

Warranty is probably out since although new/boxed to us, it wasn't actually 'new' - it had been bought but not opened almost a year previously. The guy who installed it at one stage said he might buy it back off us but hasn't and looks like he has gone off the idea now.

Just checked the model: Triton AS2000XT - any good?

Yeah, makes sense obviously just to sell it but that means disconnecting it - wouldn't really be happy about doing this TBH. Or maybe I shouldn't be too worried? I only mentioned selling it to the installer of the new shower since he would have to disconnect it himself then.

OK, maybe slight change of question then; any idea how much I should ask for this (if I manage to remove it that is) ?

The guy who installed it should have known exactly what he was fitting. Different types of showers have different characteristics.
It probably has little valve second hand, I can get you a "new" price tomorrow and you can judge.

Anyway you can get a hot supply to it? It is a good performance shower and far better than any electric shower on the market.

The guy who installed it should have known exactly what he was fitting.

He did - crossed wires on our part - we knew it had a pump but didn't realise it needed an existing hot feed - we thought like a standard electric, it could provide hot water on demand also.

I can get you a "new" price tomorrow and you can judge.
OK, thanks.

Anyway you can get a hot supply to it? It is a good performance shower and far better than any electric shower on the market.
Well yes, it works alright - which was the only time it was even turned on, as a test just after installation, but we simply don't want a shower like this. The whole point was to get a shower that doesn't depend on the immersion especially for summer use.

I can get you a "new" price tomorrow and you can judge.

€285 or thereabouts at least for a new Triton AS2000XT. It absolutely says everywhere on the box that a hot and cold feed is needed, even a sticker on the front and a diagram on the back. OP be be doing extremely well to get €100 for it now.

For such a good shower I suggest OP stick with it for a couple of years.

Doing the sums your looking at

purchase and fit replacement €300 (add electrical costs to that if you don't have 6mm electic feed to shower unit with proper fuse and isolation)
Cost of running 9KW electric shower per shower 50 cent (don't quote me on that).

Of course a lot of people forget that you can run your oil/gas burner for a half hour during the summer. Total back of fag box calcs but having your oil boiler run full blast for 1/2 hour most domestic boilers would not burn a litre of oil which costs 45 cent these days.

In any event you need hot water in your bathroom taps and in the kitchen.

It absolutely says everywhere on the box that a hot and cold feed is needed, even a sticker on the front and a diagram on the back.

Maybe, but I don't think you understand what happened - we asked for a pump shower which is what we got. We didn't realise it also needed hot water - our mistake - we didn't look at any box because we didn't buy the shower ourselves, it was supplied by the fitter.

Even if we only get €100 it's worth selling IMO - we don't want it, simple as that - no matter how good it is. Maybe we don't appreciate it's virtues but for us there is no difference between this shower and a hose/shower head fitted to the bath taps - except the water pressure is better.

In any event you need hot water in your bathroom taps and in the kitchen.

Well for that we're happy to use the immersion for 15 minutes or so.

Thanks for the info.

Back