Missed Loan Repayments - Effects credit rating?

Cluele$$

Hi all,

I have registered to ask this question and am just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction.

I am with Ulster Bank and got a loan from them while in college. I have 2 accounts with them my student/graduate account which I get my paychecks paid into and another one setup for repaying my loan.

After leaving college a couple of years ago I had about 3k in loans to pay off. These were student loans so they only began looking for repayments after I started working.

When I went to the bank to setup the loan repayments the bank manager I met set up a new account from which these loan repayments would be repaid. Through either stupidity at the time or carelessness I didn't really take this in and thought the loan would be repaid from my student account.

After a while a I got letters about missing repayments and the bank rang to find out what was going on. I then setup a standing order from my student account to my loan repayment account for the ~150e a month.

This was all going fine for about 1.5 - 2 years but then I got more letters saying I was missing repayments. It seems that I didn't realize that there were annual fees for the account (I know, I should have known) so the repayments weren't being made.

Last month someone rang me up and I made the final repayment about 2 months early so the loan is all cleared.

I'm wondering if this will cause issues for me in the future or if it will damage my credit rating or anything like that? I am pretty clueless so apologies for any stupid questions. Any help would be appreciated!

clueless.

1. Find out your ICB credit rating. Go to Irish Credit Bureau site and apply for you Credit Rating.Costs e6.
2. If it shows the last 24 mths as up to date ,not only have you no issue ,it is a good ongoing credit ref.
3. If it shows slow payments contact Ulster and ask them to amend their records.
4. If Ulster do not ,you can still ask ICB to note your concerns.
5. If you should be looking for credit in the next 5 odd years ,keep copies of all correspondence + your reasons for appearing (bad)
Hope this helps.

Thanks Gerry, I've sent off for that ICB report and I'll see what I can do once I get it!

Back