pyrite test needed by buyers bank

Roger rabbit

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me if they have any knowledge on

when you are selling a home which has no signs of pyrite but is in some houses in the same estate and the new potential buyers are saying that the banks are looking for a pyrite test,

How much a pyrite test cost?
How long the test samples take to come back?
Who pays for the test when there is no signs of pyrite whatsoever (10 yr old house)?
Do you split the cost with the buyer?

Any help greatly appreciated as more and more people are asking these questions.

If there has been pyrite found in houses in the estate, It may put buyers off. Therefore I would think it is in your best interest to get the test done if you want to sell. It will give the buyer confidence to buy if its clear.
I don't know anything on costs or time frames though sorry.

I have never been involved in pyrite-related work so what follows is just some what I think are logical deductions based on 40 years in the construction business.
I may have it wrong but at least someone may be kind enough to help me out!
I think you need to explore exactly what the bank wants here and also understand what is involved in such a test where there is no symptoms.
Typically the issue arose with what is called hardcore, or what are called Clause 804/ 808 /809/ 803 aggregates

So where is this stuff generally used.
Maybe under the foundations for walls if the ground was very wet.
Certainly under ground level concrete floors.
Certainly under pathways and driveways.
I don't think it would be used in ready-mix concrete.

So if you need to test for pyrite under the concrete floor in your living room, what will be done.
Maybe they bring in a water cooled core drill that drills down through your carpet, underlay, concrete, radon barrier, sand layer and into the aggregate that was used in the subfloor.
They take out the sample.
Now what do they do next?
Who fixes the punctured radon barrier?

Pyrite under paths and drives is less of an issue.

I am wondering is the request a try-on rather than based on a faceless bank.

I would ask to see the spec of the test, because unless the whole house is dug up and put in a skip, you can never say with 100% certainty that there is no pyrite.

Back