2nd Property tax

J

JimmyBoo

Hi all,

My brother & g/f obtained PP on a site I own a few years back. They already had a house and had planned to purchase the site from me once PP was finalised. He subsequently split from his g/f and wasn't in a position to build so I used the PP which was in his name to build. I didn't require a mortgage as I had been laid off and had some funds to finance the build.

My question is how do we fare are regards 2nd Property tax. I dont have deeds to the house as such. The site is in my name but I never had to arrange a mortgage so there is nothing on paper with regards to the house. All bills etc are in my name.

Cheers
Jimmy

1. Do you own another house?
2. Is this a second house?

Title to this house is the site title and the planning documentation.

The tax is on a self assessment basis. If the tax is payable ( and it is pretty straightforward - its either a second house or not) , it becomes due. More importantly, interest will accrue on any outstanding payments and when a defaulter tries to sell, the outstanding liabilities will have rolled up.

mf

Re: 2nd Property tax
>1. Do you own another house?

No

>2. Is this a second house?

No.

> Title to this house is the site title and the planning documentation.

Site is in my name. PP is in my brothers name.

I think you are being a little pedantic. Yes you do own a second house. The site the house is built on is your site. The house was built with your money and the bills attached to the house are in your name. Who owns the house if not you?
Whether you decide to pay the second home tax or not is your decision to make.

It does not matter whose name the planning permission is in. The house is on your land. Its yours.

Planning documentation means planning permission, receipts for financial contributions, commencement notice and architects certs of compliance. All of which are needed in order to sell or mortgage.

mf

I think you are being a little pedantic. Yes you do own a second house. The site the house is built on is your site. The house was built with your money and the bills attached to the house are in your name. Who owns the house if not you?
Whether you decide to pay the second home tax or not is your decision to make.

Where's his first house?

mf

Just to clarify.

It does not have to be a second house. Once it is not the owners Principal Private residence it is liable for the tax.

Actually he doesn't mention owning his own house prior to building this one. I assumed (I know I shouldn't) he must have a house already though or why would he be enquiring about the property tax on second homes?

I dont have a house already. This is my primary residence. I asked the question about 2nd property tax to see what the situation is for my brother. Is he liable given he has a house already and the original PP was in his name ?

Thx for the replies :)

Don't think you need to worry about it then :). The fact that the planning permission is in his name doesn't mean anything as regards the €200 property tax.

Back