is this a good quote for a solicitor?

eco

My partner and i are buying out 1st house, its a fixer upper, and we offered 60000 which has been accepted. I contacted my fathers solicitors- and they said that they would "take care of me" as i am my fathers daughter(father a big business man well known in our town)

Anyway they quoted me 1600 for everything(inc transfer of deeds etc) Is this good?

Anyone know if i pay in cash do i get a discount? When do i pay them- do they send out a bill? If there is some sort of dely with the house will i have to pay them more

Any hidden fees i should be aware of?

At that price and as I think the bulk of that bill will be outlays & VAT and as they are solicitors rather than dodgy builders (see another thread about demands for cash payments), I can't see it coming down for cash or even gold bars.

What did the quote say? Did you ask the solicitor about "hidden fees"? Did you ask if delays will cost you more? Did they put any provisos in the quote?

I usually (not always) pay some up front and the balance on completion and receipt of final account.

At that price and as I think the bulk of that bill will be outlays & VAT and as they are solicitors rather than dodgy builders (see another thread about demands for cash payments), I can't see it coming down for cash or even gold bars.

What did the quote say? Did you ask the solicitor about "hidden fees"? Did you ask if delays will cost you more? Did they put any provisos in the quote?

I usually (not always) pay some up front and the balance on completion and receipt of final account.

All she said was 1600 inc deeds- and another thing that needs to be sorted with the town hall- as the house used to be a corporation house years ago(private sale now)

She made it v clear she would take care of me and she mentioned my dads name a few times, my dads a business man and has been for 30 years so i assume they wouldnt try take the ****.

no she didnt say anything about hidden fees. i said a few times "that 1600 is for everything now is it" and she said ya

maybe i should ring them again and check

Get a written quote from three solicitors incl a breakdown. That's the only way you will be able to compare how they work and what they charge for.

The fact that your father is involved with them means that 1) they're probably ok and 2) if something goes wrong they might lose his business. Both are good guarantees.

That quote equates to nearly 2.7% - sounds pricey to me, although it is a very low cost property - also maybe there are potential issues with it that could warrant the solicitor doing additional work.

I would look around just for comparison purposes. I would imagine that solicitors would be biting your hand off for business these days.

That is an excellent quote. The job is not easier because the house is cheaper. I would not do a conveyance that cheaply regardless of who the client was related to. I think the solicitor is being very decent and you should jump at it. Best of luck.

Kate.

I'd agree with Kate10. If you pay peanuts all you should expect is Monkeys. There is no solicitor that will try and lose a business account by overcharging the offspring of a business man. BTW have you asked your father of his thoughts and comments ?

Sounds a good price to me. I paid double this a few years ago.

Can't figure out how they charge a percentage of the house value.

I would imagine, appart from stamp duty etc... the solicitors costs would be the same (amount of work involved) for an expensive and cheap house.

Good luck with your purchase OP.

You have nothing to lose by getting more quotes. I am buying a house and got a few quotes. Got it for €1400 for a finish. even had one guy ring me and reduced his price by €250.

I'd agree with Kate10. If you pay peanuts all you should expect is Monkeys. There is no solicitor that will try and lose a business account by overcharging the offspring of a business man. BTW have you asked your father of his thoughts and comments ?

TBH, when it comes to solicitors, I would ignore prices and concentrate solely on personal recommendations. Your comment about paying peanuts and getting monkeys is an awful generalisation - I paid 1667 all in for my conveyancing and the solicitor was excellent and I found her through personal recommendation.

TBH, when it comes to solicitors, I would ignore prices and concentrate solely on personal recommendations. Your comment about paying peanuts and getting monkeys is an awful generalisation - I paid 1667 all in for my conveyancing and the solicitor was excellent and I found her through personal recommendation.

Wouldn't agree with that 100%. For a simple conveyancing matter, price should be the main driver. It's a simple process for any small town solicitor.

If it's anything complex, then you need to look at personal recommendations.

Wouldn't agree with that 100%. For a simple conveyancing matter, price should be the main driver. It's a simple process for any small town solicitor.

I would argue that there is no such thing as a simple convayencing.

I would argue that there is no such thing as a simple conveyancing.

Agreed. As a conveyancing solicitor ( well when there were conveyances happening !) I can tell you that the simplest, most straightforward ones are sometimes the worst. Its currently a nightmare trying to get any transaction over the line what with problems with funding, or the capacity of people to really mess things up - be it the planning aspect, tax aspect, break up of partnerships etc.,etc, the list of "what could possibly go wrong" is endless.

And in answer to the original question, its a good , decent, more than reasonable quote. And if you couple that with the personal recommendation ..........

There is no reason not to get a few quotes but given that the OP is relatively naive ( no offence - first timers usually are! - they could end up going for the cheapest but not the best. And you can't generally work out "the best" until the keys are in the purchasers hand and they could sell , without any issues, the following day/week/month or year. The day you buy is the day you sell.

mf

I recently gave a fee quote for a 'simple' purchase of a quite cheap one-off house on its own site of circa half an acre and I am indeed a small town solicitor. The following transpired so far, and we do not yet have contracts signed:

1. House was built maybe 20 years ago. Septic tank was built outside the site on a neighbours land. Easement to facilitate use of septic tank has just been signed. I am relying on 3rd party solicitors to get it registered. ( but it's ok, I know them and it will be sorted out)

2. The house next door used to use a well on the site we are buying. Our site used to use the same well, but drilled a new one. Vendor got neighbours to agree to connect to the Group Water. In an inspired move, the Group Scheme contractor put the meter box\connection for the supply on the property we are buying. Group Scheme don't seem to realise that they need an easement to keep their equipment there; so the vendor's solicitor is in dialogue with a separate set of 3rd party solicitors to resolve this.

3. the site as originally transferred was incorrect and a further piece was added to the folio a couple of years ago to rectify matters. But it still doesn't look right - so I have asked client to get their engineer to take a further look on the ground and make absolutely certain that the title as mapped is the same as the title on the ground.

4. House is in poor enough shape, ( hence low price). Engineer's report has a list of remedial works required ( though, to be fair, it does not suggest that the property is one which should not be bought). Clients want to go ahead and at the end of the day it is their decision. The easy thing for me to do is to write a letter to client to say that I would not recommend they go ahead on foot of a negative engineer's report. The better thing to do is to go through the report and make sure that they understand what they are taking on; also I have to document clearly that I have done this. Because when things go wrong, people say 'how could your solicitor have let you buy this?' without any regard for the fact that a good solicitor never tells you what to do, but rather tries to ensure that you are making an informed decision.

Although the transaction now involves four sets of solicitors, I have told clients that I am going to stick to my original fee quote. I know many solicitors who would do the same. This is not foolish generosity - it is intrinsic to my business model. This is only partially because my clients are are nice people and none of this is their fault. It is mostly because it is important to them to have a good handle on costs from the outset. So on this transaction, I lose money. On other transactions I will make money. If I dropped my standard house-purchase fee to match the lowest price(s) out there, I couldn't do this. Many people will no doubt say that I should only charge for the work done - that I should charge a very low fee on a very straightforward transaction and a commensurately higher fee on the complex ones. My experience is that clients prefer to know where they stand. My policy is - if at all possible - to give them that certainty.

I support the free market. But we have to recognise that there is an inequality of bargaining knowledge between solicitor and client. If the legal services market becomes one where most people want the cheapest possible fee on the apparently common 'straightforward' conveyances, but personal recommendations (and top notch service) on anything complex, the consumer cannot ultimately be the winner. The legal market works best where people retain a solicitor based on personal recommendation and where both parties are invested in the solicitor-client relationship.

Anyone know if i pay in cash do i get a discount?

as they are solicitors rather than dodgy builders (see another thread about demands for cash payments), I can't see it coming down for cash
Funnily enough, my introduction to 'discount for cash' came for a solicitor who did a bit of personal injury work for me many moons ago.

3. the site as originally transferred was incorrect and a further piece was added to the folio a couple of years ago to rectify matters. But it still doesn't look right.
Whose fault was it that the orignal tranfer was incorrect?

I agree with most of your post especially on the client/solicitor relationship being a two way street.

I do not see why in the future conveyancing cannot be a simple and straightforward transaction.

OP have been given a great quote from her dad's efficient solicitor and she has it in writing, she cannot do better than that.

Back