Regulations around moving cooker switch

Blue sky

I am in the middle of changing the kitchen and want to eliminate some switches and sockets. The builder has suggested getting rid of the cooker switch altogether and if it ever needs to be turned off removing the fuse from the fuse box. Is this allowed?
Thanks

Don't know about 'allowed' but if I wanted to do it I would just do it . . that said, there is no way I would do that.

The idea is that cooker switch is near in case of an emergency. I.e. don't have to run up to the hall etc.

I am in the middle of changing the kitchen and want to eliminate some switches and sockets. The builder has suggested getting rid of the cooker switch altogether and if it ever needs to be turned off removing the fuse from the fuse box. Is this allowed?
Thanks

NO its now allowed and your builder is very bad for even suggesting that you do that.
There must be a cooker isolation switch in the kitchen.
Same with regards to the likes of fridge,washing machine,drier and dishwasher.

Talk to the electrician and forget what the builder has said to you,as he clearly doesnt know what hes talking about.
Make sure that the electrician is fully registered under safe electric rules.

Thanks

Are you getting rid of your electric cooker or are you still hoping to use it without a switch?

If its the latter then the answer is NO. You MUST have a local bi-pole indicated isolator for an electric cooker.

If it is the former, then just disconnect the circuit at the consumer unit and remove the switch in the kitchen,

Hope this helps.

And what about the builder, are you keeping him?

Good point, if the builder is recommending you breach electrical regs, can you be sure he's following building regs?

Does the work involve anything significant that would require a cert. of compliance?

I know years ago I wanted our cooker switch to be placed in kitchen press, electrician refused..on discussion he got a small switch same size as sockets so not as visual...was in a bedroom in another house n electrician had used large one on wall to isolate the electric shower.

Was a fire session recently n in event of cooker fire told switch off switch if safe to do so...I asked re press n he said house insurance could refuse to pay out if switch was inaccessible in emergency...

In a kitchen,any appliance that does not have an easy accessable plug or electrical connection must have a neon double pole isolation switch on the kitchen splashback wall so that each appliance can be turned off and isolated from the electricial current.

Its in the electrical regs 55A Section 4.2 A and 554.3.5

Back