Cost to do up house in Mortgage

costa

Hi,
We are looking at a house which we are interested in buying. It is around 15 to 20 years old, has been kept very well and you could move into straight away without doing anything to it. However there is a little bit of updating and changes we would like to make - knock wall between living rooms, put in stove, new flooring, new windows, maybe a new kitchen (at a stretch).

Is it possible to put the cost of doing this onto your mortgage? Is there any criteria where this is possible? Or would you need to have this money from another source to do up the house after you buy it? :confused:

Thanks,
Costa

Actually - just looked back over my old posts from back about 2 years ago (I dont come on here too often)

I asked the same question then as well about borrowing more than the cost of the house. The answer then was that this wasnt possible so I doubt anything has changed in the last 2 years!!

Still any comments are welcome...

+1 what peteb has posted.

Given the current state of the property market I doubt that an application to increase your mortgage will be entertained.

If you retain a competent building professional to draw up plans and provide specifications for the work and tie them into a package for works to improve the insulation of the house, and present all this information to the bank as the reason for seeking finance, you may have some chance of getting a personal loan to to carry out the work.

ONQ.

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Back