Unfair paycut?

I

izzybelle

I would appreciate anyone's opinion on the following. I work in the office of a golf club. There are three admin staff, a general manager, an accounts technician and an administrator.

The accounts and admin staff have been approached by the gen mgr and hon. sec to take a substantial paycut. The other departments are not being asked to do so. The gen. mgr has agreed to take a smaller percentage cut and and not to avail of a large bonus normally paid in the New Year.

It has been confirmed by management that a budget is still in place for an xmas party / gift vouchers and that all permanent staff will receive one weeks bonus pay at xmas.

The two administration staff are aggrieved and reluctant to take the pay cut as the bonuses and party amounts equal the amount by which their pay is being asked to be cut. They feel it should be equal across the board. Any input gratefully received.

Life is unfair, generally speaking. There is a recession on at the moment and this is the kind of stuff people need to get accustomed to. My salary was cut this year and at the same time management bought a nice widescreen tv which we didn't need and organised a prestige event. Still find it hard to swallow that one.

If you know an alternative, let us all know.

Hi Izzy, what % of a pay cut are you being asked to give up? I dont want to know your golf club but are you based in Dublin or out in the country and is it a menbers club on its own or is it a resort type with hotel and mainly tourist based?
First question i would ask though is was the paycut decided at main committee level or at finance sub committee meeting? I would approach the captain or incoming Captain to see if he is aware of this paycut. If all staff gave up their xmas bonus and party and if this meant that the staff you spoke about would not have to indure a paycut,I would let people know this. Any right thinking person would give up these small things to see that their collegues wouldnt have to suffer.

The golf club is not in Dublin. It is a members club and to my knowledge the decision has been discussed and arrived at the highest committee level. Apparently they want "blood", they want "everyone to feel the pain" (whilst only cutting pay of admin staff ...) they think we are "overpaid" and "not busy enough" ... I could go on, but you probably get the picture. I suppose the trouble is the communication is being delivered via direct superiors we (the admin staff) do not know which members of committee are saying what . The percentage cut they are looking for is 10% of overall package. The saving they would make by cutting our pay just happens to be equivalent to the proposed xmas bonuses for all staff ... I wonder how the hard pressed/cash strapped members would feel if they knew the staff are going to be in receipt of xmas bonuses when they are going to be asked for an increase in their subscription in 2010 ..... It all makes no sense to me.

izzybelle:

It might be best to take out the references to what your specific job is and where it is located as too much info could identify you.

Click on 'Edit' in your last post and hide the pointers to your identity.

Back